Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Getting from MA to Arenal & what's the temperature there?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to go from Manuel Antonio to Arenal and back to San Jose. Not interested in public transportation. I've been quoted a rate of approx. 300 USD. Is this a decent rate, considering I'll be there next week, which is considered the "low season".

Also, I don't necessarily require a 'private" tour for me and my guest, is it possible for any tour companies to group us together with another group/couple to try to get it to be more cost effective? Do the companies arrange this or would my hotel or me?

Ideally we'd like to leave early on each of these travel days, that way we capitalize on having as much time as possible in our final destination.

Finally, anyone know the temperature in Arenal during the day and night? Need to know how cold it gets, before I start packing (will be there next week).

Old May 24th, 2004, 10:06 AM

Hi! $300 does seem a little excessive for these transfers. You can travel between the locations by Interbus (small private turismo mini-vans) for about $30 per person each transfer. You can look it up online. Don't have the address, but just type in Interbus and Costa Rica and it should pull it up for you. Very safe and comfortable form of travel!

The hotel where you are staying in MA can arrange a park tour for you. We did this last year for about $39 each. It was a great tour. . .small group, excellent guide, and I am convinced that we saw much more than we would have otherwise!

Arenal will probably be in the upper seventies, low eighties in the daytime and a little cooler at night (possibly 60-65 degrees). Usual wear for this area is a light jacket in the evenings. Of course, clouds and rain will lower the temp a little. Have a great trip!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I think that $300 is way too much. I would check into using Interbus http://www.interbusonline.com/ . I believe it's $25 per person per leg - so if there are two of you it'd be $100. The temperature in Arenal is low to mid 80's during the day and a nice lower 60's at night maybe dipping into the upper 50's. The most you'll need is a lightweight rain jacket.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:12 AM

Thanks for sending bella the website address for Interbus! I am looking at an Interbus brochure, and the prices actually vary depending upon distance and difficult. They range from $25-$38 per transfer.
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:28 AM
TVL

After searching for reasonable transfer, I confirm Interbus is a great choice. If you go to their website, it is a little confusing but register first and find your two cities. Then when you are processing they will ask which hotel to pick you up and drop you off! We took it multiple times, on one of the trips it was just my husband and I in the air conditioned minivan! You have to have a reservation so it isn't really public transportation like the public buses. Have a great time!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM
TVL

Sorry forgot one item. Interbus leaves early morning or late morning so it will fit within your schedule. I don't know if you are interested depending on how many days you are in Arenal but besides the wonderful Hot Springs, we enjoyed La Fortuna Waterfall. A taxi from your hotel can take you and you can tell him what time to come back and pick you up. It is a fairly steep hike but worth it. You can take a tour but we chose to do it on our own to have some flexibility. I hope you have a blast!
Old May 24th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I am familiar to Interbus...however they don't leave when I need to.

I need to leave on a Sunday from Manuel Antonio to Arenal (would like to leave early morning 6am)...they don't leave San Jose until 8:30am.

Likewise, I need to go from Arenal to San Jose on a Tuesday morning, to make a 1:45pm flight. However, the bus doesn't get into San Jose until 12:20pm, which is cutting it alittle too close for comfort.

Would anyone like to partner with me in shuttling a bus, the cost would go down and we could stop whenever we wanted...
Old May 24th, 2004, 11:12 AM

Bella, these are easy drives. Is that out of the question? If so, then you may have to go the more expensive route and get yourself a driver. I have heard that you can also "commission" taxi drivers to take your from location to location. . .this might be worth checking on once you arrive. I think you might could have your own taxi for $100 MA to Arenal, and probably less from Arenal to SJO. Perhaps someone else knows more about this and whether or not it is possible to use a taxi for long distances. I'm thinking you could really pad some taxi driver's pocket and save yourself a little at the same time!
Old May 25th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Bella: Shillmac makes a good point. Have you considered renting a car in M.A. and dropping it at SJO? For a three day rental, it might be within your budget and you'll have the freedom to stop at whim. We have quite a few car rental agencies in Quepos but be sure to ask if there is a "drop charge". Please drop a line if I can be of further assistance.

Lisa in Manuel Antonio