Search

when to go

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when to go

I have wanted to go to Costa Rica for several years now but I understand the best time is Jan-April but I cannot travel then as I am an accountant and it is tax time.

So the question is when else during the year to go.

And -- if going for around 10 days, would you spend all the time in one area such as the OSA or split it with maybe the Tortuguero area? Or would you do somewhere else?

As I do not see air conditioning mentioned anywhere, I assume it does not exist --at least not in the areas I am interested in-- how hot and humid does it get?

Thanks much!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:44 AM

The time frame you mention is high season, but we always travel during green season because things are lush and green, and also there can be a fairly dramatic drop in hotel rates. For a place like the Osa, I would avoid September and October because that's when the heavy rains come. We travel during July and have had some rain showers, but they generally don't last all day, and we can still do all the activities that we want to. You'll probably be up at 5:30 a.m. with the sun and the birds and the howler monkeys. I would definitely include Arenal in a 10- day trip and perhaps a beach location. AC definitely exists; we've had it in Arenal and in Manuel Antonio as well. The only place we've needed it was Manuel Antonio, but sometimes it's nice to wick all the moisture out of the air. Other areas of CR can get quite cool at night; we had to wear sweatshirts and fleece jackets in Monteverde.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 05:14 AM

Go a lot in summer

Most summer mornings are fine

Clouds in at noon rains in PM

Some AM rain in some areas

For first timers

www.caravan.com runs a nice tour

or

www.costaricexpeditions.com

nice adventure lodges

all the best areas...

have a blast,
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 11:05 AM

May is a great time to go, most of my trips have been that month. Plants & trees getting really lush, a rare shower that never last long and cheaper prices. I would look into the Osa and Arenal. CR is hot yes, and humid especially in the Osa, but not unbearably so IMO. Likely though a place in Arenal would have a/c.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 11:09 AM

You're not likely to find ac in Tortuguero or on the Osa. At Bosque del Cabo, we couldn't even use a blow dryer because they take so much power. At night it was in the low 80s, but we got a breeze off the ocean. It was pretty warm during the day, not unbearable. We got sweaty, but we just took showers and brought extra clean clothes to wear to dinner.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM

If A/C is a main factor for you(as it is with me!)you might consider one of the areas just before the Osa peninsula itself.The small town of Ojochal has hotels with A/C and is close enough to the Osa to make day trips.The Villa Gaia hotel has A/C,is reasonbly priced,and the area is beautiful!Look up Jaime tours for some real Costa Rican flavor and hospitality.