Getting around to/from San Miguel de Allende

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, I've been reading your posts. Good info. I'll email Pedro about possibly getting from Guanajuato to San Miguel and back there or Leon. Flying into BJX 10/23, 2 days in Gto. then on to SMdA until 11/3. If it's possible, what do you think about renting a car locally vs. driver for side trips to Lake Pazcuaro towns and to look at the countryside? Any recommendations? Thx
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 06:10 AM

jj,

The taxis from BJX to GTO are smallish and expensive as you'll have the $280MXN a/p ground departure tax too.
As there will be four people, luggage may be a problem. Perhaps you should contact your GTO hotel/lodging to arrange a commercial (not hotel unless free) van or SUV. I don't recall seeing larger vehicles available at the "taxi desk".

If you are actually in GTO, you may want to take the Primera Plus First Class bus to SMdA.

If Pedro will not stop in GTO to get you, there are other commercial services here and probably in GTO as well.

I think you would enjoy Dolores Hidalgo/Atotonilco for a "day trip" - bus or commercial driver readily available.

Pátzquaro/Morelia/Michoacan worth a trip, but involves overnight(s) stays.
Both options are expensive and the busses, while quite nice, are more time consuming.

There is lots of info on tripadvisor.com SMdA forum over the last several months if you have time to dig.

M
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Mike. Unless I can rent a car in SMdA for the side trips, it's beginning to sound like our original plan of renting a mid-size car from the airport might work best. It'll probably sit around for 2 days in Gto and a number of days in SMdA, but while pricey, it might be worth it not to be spending all day trying to find a driver or catching a bus for out of town exploring. The Lonely Planet guide book says there's a car rental agency in SMdA. Is that correct? All we'd need there is a VW.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:27 PM

A rental car in both cities is a real liability, especially from a parking standpoint. Yes, there is a local car rental just off the Jardin.
Our local use of the car is very limited, but it's great for day and overnight trips.
Auto liability insurance is required in MX.
M
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 08:31 AM

jj,
The SMdA rental car place is in the Hot San Francisco at the NW corner of El Jardín.
Hola Rent a car 152 0198 (01152 415 152 0198 from the US).
They want $707.MXN per day for a tsuru which is the older "square" Nissan Sentra. Unlim mi, but tax and ins extra.
You can probably do better with one of the majors at the A/P (BJX).
M
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 10:32 AM

ttt,
M