Fodor's quotes 2009 Guide is out

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Shillmac, Volcangirl and Cmerrill. Did you get your new Fodor's guide yet? Mine arrived yesterday.

We were all quoted. What fun. Does this qualify us as "published authors?"

Best,

Pat
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Well, of course it does, Pat! LOL

Since I'm planning a surprise trip to Belize during Spring Break (DH and I), I requested that guide.

By the way, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Brittania the other night--great location, nice view from the 4th floor. Thank God they had availability at that late date.
It was perfect. Preferred them to Le Bergerac, same price, but Brit was a bit nicer. LB locale was perfect, though, for our pick up which was coming from Turrialba.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Ooh, I didn't get mine yet. Hopefully today! Very thoughtful of them to send us books. Can I get your autograph?

shillmac, I can't wait to hear your take on Belize since it's on our "to do" list. I'm anxious to hear from someone who loves CR as much as I do.

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM

I think you and I will have to go without the intention of comparing. Too many differences, I think. For one thing, I know I won't be speaking as much Spanish there which is one of the drawbacks for me. Very excited about Chaa Creek and the birding (even though many of the same birds of Costa Rica) and the possibility of sighting a jaguar (supposed to be the place to do it!).

Oooh--that would make hip and Tully SO jealous!

Am a little worried about our choice of Ramon for the beach location. Jean tried to help me, but I had such a short time to make the decision that I kind of threw it together without doing as much research as I would ordinarily do. I knew that I wanted coral reef close enough so that the snorkeling tour wouldn't need to be an all-day affair, so chose Ambergris over Placencia (at least I think that is the way it was). But all the other smaller cayes really sound appealing to me.

Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM

One word WHAT-EVER! LOL! Just kidding I'm happy for those of you who get published AND get free books.

Thanks for your take on Le Bergerac. I previously considered that as it sounded like a great place.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM

And yes, shillmac, a Jaguar sighting would be MORE than incredible. ;-)
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:39 AM

I got 'published' as well, in the Belize guide. Since I have lots of those, I asked for the Central America guide--hoping to get out and see the area once we're in Belize for the winters....next year I hope.

Shillmac, see you in a couple months... Hope you get to see a jaguar. Closest we ever came was a jaguarundi in Panama...
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 03:51 AM

I've been reading you, JeanH! LOL

I guess the jaguar sighting might have been a lot more possible at Chan Chich. Availability was an issue there, and they were asking me to wait until Sept. 1 to find out about the commitment of another group. So I switched over to Chaa Creek.

When the time gets closer, I'll be picking your brain on all kinds of things, from budget to transport. It will be fun to meet up while we are on Ambergris.

HIP, are you counting the days? I am. We're gonna see that puma! Hope things have settled down for you a bit. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:08 PM

Well, Miss Hip, I have news for you. I just got my new book today, and YOU were quoted too! Wanna know what you said? Looks like you need to get a free book.

Katie, thanks for my book - I love it.
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 04:17 PM

I wanna know, I wanna know! She always says good stuff!
Old Jan 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Seriously? Sweeeeet! I'm thinking they e-mail notices so I should probably update my e-mail address. LOL!

I'll e-mail Katie!

THANK YOU FODORS!

P.S. vgirl and shillmac don't tell. I want it to be a surprise. And also see if it's something embarrassing first. ;-)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 04:14 AM

LOL

I ordered the Belize guide and hadn't seen my Fodor's quote. Pat Hewitt read it to me on the phone the other day. I held my breath hoping I had sounded halfway intelligent (which is what I am!)

Guess I'm gonna need to go buy one, though, or spend a little time at B&N reading through it!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Okay, hip, but I bet you can guess which area it was about!
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 09:23 AM

hip, you're in the Caribbean section, but I'll leave what you said for you to discover on your own.
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 10:33 AM

LOL! Thanks vgirl I can tell you're itching to tell me! ;-)
Old Jan 8th, 2009, 02:47 PM

It's like I am with my husband on Christmas. About December 1st, I start asking him if he wants to open one of his presents, but he always wants to be good and wait!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM

How do I request a copy of the guide?

Thanks!
Old Jan 10th, 2009, 11:53 AM

hip, Katie e-mailed me directly to ask which guide I wanted, and I just picked one. I see Katie's e-mail on here from time to time but I don't have it handy. She would be the one to contact. She probably e-mailed you but it was at an older e-mail address.