Fodor experts please help with spring break!

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodor experts please help with spring break!

My family (husband, children 9 and 10)and I are looking for a relaxing vacation in Mexico. My criteria: safe, clean, great local food, and great beaches. What would be perfection: great pool and family friendly without being Disney. My husband and I have been to Cabo and Cancun (pre-kids), and I would never go back to Cancun. Way too touristy for me and the food was terrible. We would like a hotel/resort located on the beach preferably, but most importantly near the best beaches for the area and best food. I would rather be able to safely walk around to dining places, than have to take a taxi here and there. We are planning this trip for the 2nd week in April 2005 for one week. My husband likes to golf so that would be an added plus, but not required. As for other activities, we have been on such great, but fast paced vacations lately that we all really want to veg (as much as a 9 and 10 year old can veg). I have researched this forum and tripadvisor.com, but I am on information overload. Plus, a lot of the Mexico focus is honeymoon oriented and our needs are different. I would like us to be able to get the feel of a real Mexican town/city versus "little" America in the sun. My children are travel savvy, and we recently stayed at a small B&B in Boston and did great. Lastly, my husband is focussing on Puerto Vallarta which he has been to, but I haven't. Thank you in advance for your information on locations and hotels/resorts.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 04:12 AM

Huatulco sprang up to me

Has a feel of real Mexico

and a golf course

Barcelo Huatulco?
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Well, my husband has decided Puerto Vallarta is where we are going. Normally, I have complete freedom choosing, but he has decided to stand firm this time. I have spent the day looking at information so I have narrowed the hotels to Marriott, Westin, or Sheraton. While I am not excited about the big chain hotel atmosphere, it appears that some of the amenities I will want with my children make them the most appealing. Of these three, or any other recommendations, which one meets most of my criteria: close to the downtown area for great restaurants, great pool(s) for the kids -but I really can't stand an atmosphere of putting towels on the chairs by 6:30 a.m. which was what we had at the Grand Hyatt in Scottsdale and I will never go back there again for that reason only - good service, clean and safe atmosphere and fairly peaceful. So, while I have read about these hotels in previous posts, not a lot was said about the pools. I looked at the pictures, but it is somewhat difficult to get a good perspective. Thanks!
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Well, if you can change hubbies mind, go to Puerto Moreles or Isla Mujeres. Depends on where you are flying from. Puerta Vallarta is OK, but not nearly as pretty as the eastern coast.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I LOVE puerto vallarta and have been there many many times. It has the authentic Mexican town atmosphere you are seeking and loads of fabulous restaurants.

That said... none of the 3 hotels you are thinking about are easy walking distance into El Centro where the majority of good restaurants are found (more like a 10-15 min. taxi or bus ride) and none of the beaches in PV are what I would call <great>. They are narrow sometimes rocky.

Of your choices I have only stayed at the Marriott which is lovely but to me definitely fits the <Disney> does Mexico criteria you mentioned trying to avoid. The pool area at the Casa Magna Marriott is wonderful, huge, and seems like it would be just grand for kids.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A couple more thoughts:

I have found PV a completely <safe> place to visit. Except for avoiding timeshare sales people, I have never had anything but positive experiences in 15 trips to puerto vallarta.

To see the <real Mexican town> that is PV you'll need to go into El Centro and a bit further "south of the river" into Old Town. This is the normal residential neighborhood with local people/families going about their business. Walk inland away from the water and tourist spots a few blocks most anywhere to find regular Mexican life. The hotels you mention are either in The Marina or The Hotel Zone which is between the airport and the downtown area.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM

We lived in the Marina area for two years and loved it out there - of the two I think the Westin maybe a better fit over the Marriott but both have great pool areas - We spent many days lounging by the pool at the Marriott - only because it was a shorter walk!!!
The Westin seemed to have more going for the kids - not sure if that's still the case.
The beach out front of either is fairly narrow especially at high tide and if the waves are a little high there can be some undertow so be careful there.

Around the Marina there is heaps to see and do at night - a fair number of restaurants and galleries...
Golf course is right there for hubby and only a few minutes away are the other two courses in the hills.

If you are not there during the usual Spring Break week(s) then heading into town will be lots of fun - take the local bus in - and if a bit later in the evening taxi back...
Superb restaurants in town of all descriptions - I just heard one of my fave's is still open up in the hills - The Red Onion...
And if you want to really splurge (and I mean it's a big splurge) look at Cafe des Artistes...
For up-to-date info on PV check out www.virtualvallarta.com - they also publish Vallarta Lifestyles magazine - the guide to what's happening throughout the whole Banderas Bay area...

Hope this helps,
Andrew
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your recommendations! I did look into Isla Mujeres, Nancy. If it were just my husband and I, I would definitely try to sway his opinion; however, I don't think there is enough diversion there for the kids.

I have looked at the pictures of Puerto Vallarta on the websites, and it looks very charming, hilly and scenic. I suppose you have people who see the white sand beach stretching forever as beautiful and others who need more hilly, rocky terrain. I prefer California to Florida. Also, my daughter has a somewhat rare condition. She is allergic to the cold. It is just like an allergy to shellfish or peanuts. Swimming is one of the most dangerous things she can do if the water is cold. While I give her anti-histamines before she swims, I still have concerns regarding natural waters, such as rivers, oceans, etc. As a result, I won't feel comfortable going snorkeling with her. We won't be in the ocean swimming for any great length of time, either. That is why the swim pool is somewhat of an important piece for my family.

We will also need to do other things, like the horse back riding, visiting any small villages nearby or going to any scenic areas. Of course, my daughter loves to shop. We are a very artistic family, and we are anxious to see the artlife that I have read about.

It sounds like it is between the Marriott and the Westin. I'll see which gives me a better rate. I have read some posts on tripadvisor complaining about the Westin's service, etc.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your advice. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know. I think I have gotten a good list of restaurants from other posts. I am a food snob, and I think from what I have read that I should be pleased with the restaurants in PV. I guess we will just have to ride the bus into town instead of walk. Oh, I believe that the whale watching will be over by first week of April. We are going then, not the second week, as I had stated previously. Thank you all! Fodorites are the best!