Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

yucatan--don't want a beach resort, so where to go?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just found some last minute cheap charter tickets to Cancun over New Year's week and I think we are going to jump on them. We have never been to Mexico before, but I have been doing some research on the area and I think we have made one choice. My husband loves to fly fish so we think we will spend 3 days in Punta Allen; he can fish and I can relax and read. We have a tentative place to stay there lined up. It's primitive but we're okay with that as we used to camp a lot when we were younger. Or is Punta Allen so dedicated to only fishermen that I will go nuts? The question then becomes what to do with our remaining four nights. We are not at all interested in glitzy beach resorts, nor do we want to spend the time on the beach. We'll have a rental car. We are interested in seeing real cultures, not tourist traps. We've done a lot of traveling and have dealt withlanguage difficulties in the past, and I know a very basic amount of Spanish, so language hurdles aren't an issue for us. We like the outdoors, doing active things and history so have thought about some of the ruins. We also enjoy strolling through colorful local markets if we happen to be in a place where they occur. I've thought about locating in Meridia for the last four days as I have read that is a good base. However, we'd have to drive there from Punta Allen and then drive back to the Cancun airport for our flight home. What do you think of this idea? We are open to suggestions. Would there possibly be other things we'd enjoy more. If you've been to the area I'd appreciate your thoughts. thanks in advance.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:20 AM

The road to Punta Allen is a killer. It's best traveled by Jeep. From Tulum, it will take about 3 hours to get to Punta Allen; more or less, depending on the condition of the road - it's worse after raining.

I think there are some fishing camps in Boca Paila, which is not too far from Tulum. You could even stay in Tulum and drive to Boca Paila easily. Well...easier than Punta Allen.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 01:47 PM

I have driven the Punta Allen road several times in a VW Beetle and it can be a bit trying--but passable under most conditions.
I would recommend a visit to Coba--a really great site without the busloads of tourists at Tulum. From there, you might want to make a Valladolid stop--and perhaps on to Merida. I enjoy Valladolid--authentic Mexican atmosphere, not many tourists and very good, reasonable hotels.
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 06:37 PM

yes Boca paila peninsula is less of a drive than Punta allen and very great fishing opportunities and while Merida is beautiful if you only have 4 days left to explore inland ....i would spend a day or so near the ruins at Coba... very peaceful and good nature hikes.... rivers and a lake with alligators... and then check out Vallaidaloid (wow spelled that wrong)... nice hotels near the parque central and very authentic town.... and have more time to wander around .... driving all the way to merida and then back to airport in Cancun will be less relaxing in my opinion
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much. One of my concerns was about making the drive from Punta Allen to Meridia. My guess would be about six hours, or am I wrong? Are there any other things of interest in the vicinity (after leaving Punta Allen) of Coba and Vallolidid? Or more in that direction than heading towards Meridia?
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 06:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
*Merida* is what came to mind from the title of your post. I'm not familiar with distance or driving in that area so am not sure if it is a reasonable suggestion or not.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:30 AM

If you guess approximately....
Punta Allen to Tulum - 3 hrs
Tulum to Valladolid - 2 hrs
Valladolid to Merida - 2 hrs

Coba ruins are interesting and there is a hotel near there.
Valladolid would be a nice pitstop for a night or two. Many things in the area to checkout.
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 09:11 AM

Good information from Pepper regarding the times. I was not sure at all of the Punta Allen to Tulum trip but remember it was slow going!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 02:54 PM

There isn't much to see if you're driving through the jungle to Coba or Valladolid -- except the jungle. But it's a nice drive - you get glimpses of small villages along the way, glimpses of local life tourists in Cancun miss out on. In Valladolid look for a restaurant in a tree-filled courtyard, just off the main square. Try the lime soup; after lunch, buy some embroidery sold by little old Indian ladies at the zocalo: it's a wonderful experience. The Yucatan is full of wonderful sights and pleasures for those escaping the glitz of Cancun. My bet is, you'll want to go back. Enjoy!
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:41 PM

My wife and I would love to go to the Yucatan (for about a week) and avoid Cancun. We'd like to visit the ruins, see the sights and also relax. Where would you suggest staying? Also, is it a lot cheaper to fly to Cancun and then drive or should we go to Merida or ... ? We're in our 50's but fairly active. Any advice appreciated.
Old Dec 24th, 2004, 10:33 AM

We loved Vallodolid. There is a restaurant in a hotel on the main square that has one wall in a really funny mural, and fabulous food. And it's a real town, not a tourist trap.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 08:40 AM

I agree with blearynet--Valladolid is a favorite of mine. Unlike Cancun and so many other places in the area, it is an authentic Mexican town!
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM

I love the south. I would stage myself in Merida and then do the Southern Loop through Uxmal, Kabah, Labna, Sayil, Xlapak, and Loltun.

This will take at least two (wonderful) days. You can get a bus down to Uxmal and then hire drivers for the other hops or get a private driver to Uxmal and go from there.

You may wish to stay at Hacienda Uxmal and they can help you make plans for the forward itinerary.

This region is "The Mayab," the actual heart of Yucatan. Cancun is, of course, "Cancun" and Valladolid is OK but its legacy was altered by the henequen trade - to be a Maya is to live in the southern corn zone.

You will notice the difference as soon as you take a few breaths and begin to look and listen to what's around you.

Good luck.