Which hotel/area in Puerto Vallarta?

Old Nov 20th, 2003, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which hotel/area in Puerto Vallarta?

Two gals going to Puerto Vallarta - I am taking a single girlfriend, just celebrating her divorce, to Puerto Vallarta in April or May. Neither of us have ever been there, but I have heard it is beautiful and reflects the true Mexican culture and not so commercialized. My friend does not travel much so this will be a treat for her, but she is more on the pampered side, so I am thinking a resort with full spa, on the beach or beach view, great pool/swim-up bar and pool services, a few restaurants on-site. Money is not a factor - we'll spend what it takes. We don't have to have a great beach, as more time will be spent at the pool, spa and shopping downtown. Nothing too geared towards couples and romance. We are considering Westin, Sheraton, Marriott Casa Magna, Premier Hotel or Fiesta Americana--any help in narrowing down would be greatly appreciated. Is it safe for two gals traveling alone to go downtown?
Thanks!!
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Great choice in PV- my fiance and I are getting married there for the same reasons you're going.
The Westin and Marriott are gorgeous. Fantastic pools - Marriott has an infinity pool which is beautiful- but neither have nice beaches (sounds like that's ok). Havent' stayed there but I've toured them. Dont know about the spa. We didnt visit the Sheraton bec it was hurt badly in the hurricane- it may have just opened up so I don't have info. I can't speak to the other 2 but you can't go wrong w the M/W.

For spas try terranoble.com
Also I've heard the Las Caletas day trip is amazing and there's a spa there.
try vallartaonline.com
hope this is helpful.
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks much, I did find that both the Westin and Marriott have a full-service spa, so it may just come down to rates as they are both located in the same area. The more I find about Sheraton, it sounds like that may not be up to par in standards. I have heard FiestAmericana is nice, but the W and M area step above. Anything notable about the Marina Vallarta area versus the hotel zone?
Old Nov 20th, 2003, 07:45 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes El Centro (downtown) PV is safe to visit.

I've been there solo/female many many times. I think the Sheraton is still under recovery from the storm damage? The Casa Magna Marriott is very nice. Sorry, not up on the spas.

Realize it is (Marriott) in The Marina about 15 mins. outside downtown (with best shopping, nightlife, etc. )to the north nearer the airport. Not walking distance but an easy inexpensive taxi ride.

For local culture be sure to stop into the main cathedral, stroll the Malecon on a weekend evening...

Getting a street map is really helpful in understanding the different neighborhoods, distances between, etc. I'm sure your hotel can provide one.

Old Nov 21st, 2003, 05:09 AM

I am going to give you my opinion for luxury go to different worlds.com and check out the Quinta Real it is in the Marina I found this accidentally on the web site and think it is gorgeous. I have been going to P. Vallarta for the last 15 yrs. Went in March and leaving again next Friday the 28th Been to many hotels there, We already booked this vacation and actually changed hotels last minute to Fiesta Americana. The Quinta is a little pricey but please check it out. It is not on the beach it is on the golf course at the marina but they take you to the beach on golf cart 5 minutes away and they have their own private beach club right on the beach w/pool. Sounds perfect for two single women, they also have a spa. We would've went there but after going in March and now in November and again in March'04 we had to consider the price. Let me know how you make out. Every hotel you mentioned above are top hotels in Puerto Vallarta but I don't think any of them I would call luxury. If you want any more info on the hotels try trip advisor.com
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 06:25 AM

Maps of Vallarta
http://vallartainfo.com/bay.html
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input. The Quinta looks fabulous. We are mostly going to be into the pool scene and shopping, so the beach club by the Quinta sounds great, as does the Marriott set-up. We don't mind taxi'ing to downtown. Beach quality not important for where we stay, but great view-yes! I will look into the Cathedral as well-I love to photograph churches of all types. So downtown sounds safe to walk around in the evening?
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 10:09 AM

Don't be afraid to travel anywhere in P. Vallarta there are so many people walking around. I love the place so much going on. Have a great time and if I can help please ask.
Old Nov 21st, 2003, 09:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Know i already posted, but to repeat and give assurance, downtown PV is alive with tons of people out, all hours. Balmy, welcoming, sweet. I don't know your hometown, but i feel safer and more at ease there than downtown my own city (Seattle). Get an ice cream cone, go shopping, walk around. it's fabulous!
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 04:33 AM

try expedia.com they have virual tours of the hotels, that might help. expedia. com just click hotels and put in puerto vallarta
Old Nov 22nd, 2003, 08:28 AM

Check out this link--
http://travel.discovery.com/fansites...anresorts.html

It's a list of top ten Mexican beach resorts that the travel channel did. A couple of them are in PV.
Old Nov 23rd, 2003, 11:48 AM

just to add to the chorus- PV is incredibly safe. I was amazed at how safe I felt even wandering in less frequented areas after midnight. I've traveled the world and PV is one of the places I felt most comfortable. You'll love it.