FLor Blanca or Punta Islita?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2007, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there. WE are going to CR for 10 days in December 2007 or January 2008.
We want to spend 3 nights at the Volcano and Cloud Forest, then go to the beach. Can't decide between Flor Blanca and Punta Islita. Should we split up the time and do 4 nights at each? What is there to do at each property and which do you suggest? We like to hike, see the forest, walk on the beach and be in luxury. Also, don't want to be tied down to eating all the time at the resort. How would the drive be to each from Monteverde or La Fortuna and can we travel between the two? I looked at a map but couldn't tell if travel was possible between Flor Blanca and Punta Islita.
Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM

I'd suggest choosing one or the other. For one thing, Punta Islita is a bit isolated and won't lend itself so much to eating other places. Flor Blanca, on the other hand, in Santa Teresa, is close to Cabo Blanco Reserve, really neat for a great hike and wildlife viewing. Also close to Montezuma with restaurant options and the Montezuma falls.

Will you need to spend first and last nights near the airport? That is definitely something to think about as arrival and departure times frequently dictate that for you, cutting down on the number of nights you THINK you will have at resorts.

You really wouldn't do Volcan Arenal and Monteverde Cloud Forest as a single location. They are very separate and the travel between them is difficult and time consuming (contrary to how it may appear on the map)--about 3 hours. Each deserve at least 2 nights. You shouldn't even consider either one for less than that. 3 nights is better at both. There is a LOT to do in the Arenal area.

My advice would be to choose Arenal (or Monteverde if you prefer) and Flor Blanca. It is possible you will only have 8 nights. I'd suggest 3-4 at Arenal and 4-5 at Flor Blanca. It will take you the better part of one day to get from Arenal to Santa Teresa (same for Punta Islita)--probably 6 hours. From Santa Teresa back to San Jose, about the same. You should think about booking very soon. You specify that you want luxe accomodations, so if it is really important to you that you stay at particular hotels, you'd best not wait too long to book them.

One of the most popular hotels in CR is down on the Osa (Bosque del Cabo) and some people were already booking it LAST March for December 2007. It is a very busy time in Costa Rica!
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help. We are finding that it's hard to book flights this far out though.
We were leaning towards Flor Blanca since it did appear there would be more to do. Do you think Manuel Antonio or someplace else is a better choice? Our first "must do's" are the volcano and cloud forest, then we pretty much want to go hang on a nice beach, do a few hikes and maybe get in some snorkeling. The moneys at Manuael Antonio seem interesting. Also, do you have any experience with the flights in/out of Liberia as opposed to San Jose? Yes, we'd like nice lodging, but don't want to spend 4-6 hours getting there, if all the neat things to do are elsewhere. Suggestions from that?

We have selected Tobacon Resort for the volcano area. Do you have a lodging selection for the cloud forest?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 11:17 AM

El Establo might be nice in Monteverde--if you can get a room with a nice view. We liked El Sapo Dorado as well.
Manuel Antonio is nice, but I'd prefer the quietness of Flor Blanca and Ste. Teresa. Fewer people, hotel beachside instead of on a hill (although the views at MA are lovely). You'll see plenty of wildlife in the Cabo Blanco Reserve. . .I don't know--Manuel Antonio is nice as well, easy to get to for sure, and lots of excellent hotel choices. It would be hard to make a bad decision--impossible in fact, if that makes you feel any better. How many countries can boast that??
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 09:04 PM

i'd take punta islita, it's the best place for me any time of he year