Flamingo Beach to Arenal area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be staying at the Famingo Beach Resort for 7 nights in mid March and want to take in some day trips but it sounds like the clowd forests and Arenal Volcoano areas are too far for day trips. We are thinking of renting a small SUV for a few days and spending a night at Arenal Observatory Lodge, since that has had some nice reviews on this site. Is this reasonable to do this in 2 days and one night and are the roads ok? This is our first trip to CR.
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 01:50 PM

Certainly you can do it. Tours offer an overnight from the northern beaches to Arenal and Monteverde both. AOL is a nice hotel and a good one for viewing the lava flow right now. Nice grounds. Get an early start so you'll have plenty of time to enjoy the area. One of the highlights should be the hot springs, either Tabacon or Eco Thermales (Baldi not so much). La Fortuna an interesting little town as well. . .
From Flamingo, expect about a 4 hour drive. If you go through the country from Playa Potrero on the Monkey Trail, you'll save about an hour. Ask about it at the bakery El Castillo in Playa Potrero. It's VERY simple. When you get to the paved road at the end of the country road, make a right and follow signage into Liberia.

Have a great time!
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much! I did get a car rental today, the only map that I have is from my Fodor's travel guide, I am hoping to to get a better map from somewhere, I don't suppose there is a an official map that I can get from somewhere. any thoughts on this?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 09:40 PM

The roads are well marked from Flamingo (once you cross the bridge at Rio Tempisque and take the exit towards Canas, there is a blue volcano sign to follow). The road is paved the entire way (except about 100 feet) and in fairly good shape. I recommend that you phone ahead to Gingerbread for lunch reservations... they only serve lunch with advance reservations. Be sure to give yourself 4 good hours of sunlight on the trip home, as the CR roads are difficult at night. It is a beautiful drive.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both so much. I can't wait to see the area.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 01:45 PM

At Barnes & Noble you can purchase the Berndston & Berndston map. It is a tremendous resource for traveling around CR.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

sounds good, I will get the map. dt