Search

First trip to CR..need help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to CR..need help

My husband and I are visiting CR for the first time in Oct. Thought I had everythng figured out, but I keep reading everyones comments. First of all, we will be staying 13 days. How much time should we spend in Arenal and Monteverde? Is 3 days in Monteverde too much? Also, where should we stay on the Pacific side. Have looked into Tamarindo area. Is north of there a little nicer. Shillmac (sp) talks well of the Flamingo Resort. We like nice, but don't really want to stay at the 4seasons. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 01:04 PM

3 days each at Arenal and Monteverde are not too much--just about right! Tamarindo is, IMO, a great area. There are a couple of AI hotels nearby as well as several nice hotels in the $60 per night range and others in the $125 per night range. I'd recommend another 3 days in this area, then head down to Manuel Antonio to finish out your time. You can add more time to either of the last 2 destinations by dropping a night at Arenal.

If you prefer to do just one beach location, choose either one. Both are great areas. Tamarindo a little drier in October.

Another interesting possibility is to stay at Tamarindo 4 nights, (or Manuel Antonio), then drive to La Finca Que Ama southwest of the airport about 45 minutes. This hotel puts you in the middle of a very rural and untraveled part of Costa Rica with not many tourists. Very nice place with great food and wonderful amenities. It is quite close to a new park that you would enjoy, Turubari.

Just as an afterthought, this would also be a great time of year to visit the Caribbean side if you have any interest in that at all. . .less rain in October. You could go up to Tortuguero and see the turtles nesting (they are still nesting in October), then spend 3 nights down at the Caribbean beaches in the south. This area, though with less infrastructure, is truly beautiful and there are some great hotels down around Puerto Viejo and Manzanillo.
Old Aug 24th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. I tried looking up Al hotels but couldn't find any listing. I think we are going to stay put in the Tamirindo area. Save MA for another time.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:13 AM

Good choice! Have fun
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:17 AM

If interested in AI, check out Paradisus Playa Conchal (excellent resort, 15 min. from Tamarindo--beautiful beach, nice area). Outside of Tamarindo (walkable on the beach) is Barcelo Playa Langosta, another AI.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 04:34 AM

I stayed at El Jardin del Eden in Tamarindo in July - we were very happy with our stay there. Rooms really vary in size & decor, so you might want to ask to see your room before agreeing to it. We were very happy with ours (#5) but our friends were in #6 & theres was much smaller. Others on this board really like Capitan Suizo - but I believe there are more kids there and we were trying to find a quieter place. Regardless - make sure you stop at Shark Bite Deli for lunch one day. We also had happy hour at Zully Mars (right on the beach at the circle). Dinners at Las Cantina Olas (decent Mexican, nice atmosphere), Stellas (variety of food, nice atmosphere, but pricey), our hotel (wasn't impressed at all) & Zully Mars. You should go to Lazy Wave, but they were closed when we were there. Have a great time! Wish I were going!