Fine tuning our Caribbean travels in CR

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After months of reading & planning, we've decided on the following itinerary. But please feel free to make other suggestions if the trip would flow better. We'll be spending a wk in the Florida Keys before arriving at SJO on Jan 21. We'll opt for the non stop Lasca flight which will get us there at 9:28am. We were hoping to fly to Tortuguero that day but it appears to only have flights at 6am so we'll opt for Orquideas Inn first day. Then 2 nts at Laguna Lodge, return on the bus, rent a car & head to Puerto Viejo & spend 4 nts at Pachamama & 2nt Banana Azul. While there we plan to do the aerial tram, chocolate tour, Bri Bri village & hopefully some snorkeling & diving if it looks promising. Also plan to visit Gandoca Manzanillo park, animal rescue center & take time to listen to the wild jungle & enjoy our surrounding. On the way back we plan to raft the Pacaure river for a day, spend the night at Tirimbina or maybe Selva Verde, visit Poas volcano & waterfall & the Sarapiqui area before returning to SJ. We've debated on the car so need feedback whether to rent or not. We were in CR 3 yrs ago & did MA, Arenal & Guanacaste so this time we want to stay in one place longer & just enjoy the jungle. We'll have at least 10-12 days to visit the area. Always appreciate your forum & feedback.
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Since you arrive early on your first day, rent the car then and head straight to PV. Do your Tortuguero as a side trip from PV or on your way back to SJ. Then finish up the rest of your plans: Pacaure, SV, Poas Sarapiqui etc.
Old Aug 30th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Wouldn't that just mean renting a car for a couple extra days though? Someone mentioned doing the raft trip first & ending up near a boat dock to Torturuego. Not sure how far away the dock would be or how we'd get there.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 07:28 AM

This sounds like a great trip! Can I come, too? (Imagine that last bit said with a kind of whine.)

I think this is a fine itinerary - but - you could do it either way - what you originally planned or what MichelleY suggested. You could also take a shuttle to PV and after Tortuguero rent a car. You can even take a shuttle to PV and rent a car there for exploring the area then take one of the transportation options to Moin and on to Tortuguero. Willie's Tours is one that will take you to Moin for the boat to Tortuguero, for instance.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:26 AM

Your itinerary sounds great and it's very handy to have rental car around PV if you really want to explore north and south of PV, all worth it. Otherwise, biking around town is fun and easy too. I hope you love Banana Azul as much as I do, definitely one of my favorites in CR. Just make sure you take the boat from Moin so you get the longer, enjoyable boat ride to Tortuguero, which is what it sounds like you plan on doing. If you are staying at Laguna Lodge I highly recommend going with Fran and Modesto of Riverboat Francesca.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:08 PM
Original Poster

Yes, we are using Modesto as our guide & he said he would pick us up at Moin. I have my reservation at Banana Azul but the 1 bd house at Pachamama is booked. Has anyone stayed at the bungalow or casita & what did you think? Or is there another place as charming? After Tortuguero, we will have 3 nts to spend somewhere. Think we'll stay near the Sarapiqui area & do the Pacuare raft trip. Any suggestions as to where to stay the last 3 nts? We've changed our itinerary to:
7 nts in Puerto Viejo area
2 nts Tortuguero at Laguna Lodge (Modesto)
raft Pacuare
2 nts Sarapiqui area (maybe Casa Rio Blanco)
last night SJ- Casa69?
Once again, thanks for all of your suggestions. It makes the planning fun & easier to plan.
Spud
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 08:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Casa Rio Blanco was our favorite on our trip 3 years ago. We only stayed one night, but wished it had been longer. Herbie and Annette are also very helpful in planning your time in the area.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:32 PM

Hi again Idaho,
See my response on my trip report - Casa Rio is definitely a great choice between the Caribbean and San Jose - thank you MichelleY for that great recommend. You could easily stay there to visit Sarapiqui and then head to visit Poas (via very nice hwy 4/126) on your way back to San Jose.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 03:48 AM

In the Sarapiqui region I recommend visits to La Selva and Tirimbina, can stop by Heliconia Island if you enjoy tropical gardens. We always stay at Selva Verde so I'm not sure how far Casa Rio Blanco is from there. The chocolate tour is fun at Tirimbina and I hear the bat tour is good also. We've taken natural history and birding tours at La Selva.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Sounds like good suggestions. We'll try 2 nts at Casa Rio Blanco unless it looks like too far between it & Poas. Tirimbina looks like a good place too. Thanks a bunch.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM

Usually (but not always!) the earlier you arrive at Poas, the better your chances of seeing the crater before the clouds/fog roll in.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:21 AM

Why bother with a whole week in the Keys when you could spend it in such a beautiful place as Costa Rica?
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I agree fish about spending more time in CR. But we had a timeshare to use so the Keys make a good jumping off place & we can get our diving in there. Really enjoyed Key West last time we were there.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 02:44 PM

I'd go to the Keys any ole time (have never been there, having spent all of our spare time in Costa Rica)!

What a great itinerary! Here is the way I would do it. All good suggestions, though.

Arrive SJO, rent, drive to PV--5 nights there plenty, 3/2 split

(Drive to Moin, leave car at secure parking Mar Azul hotel where you meet Fran and Modesto).

2 nights Laguna Lodge

(Drive to La Selva area)

Stay 2 nights (Selva Verda, La Quinta or comparable). You should be able to have 1.5 day for that area. 2 activities recommended, your choice.

Return to San Jose after lunch. RELAX! Overnight Orquideas.

Drive early to Poas/visit Doka Coffee Estates, La Paz Waterfall Gardens. Turn car in. Overnight Grano de Oro? It is very close to several of the rental agencies on Paseo Colon, couple of blocks literally. Fab restaurant.

Early a.m. pick up for Pacuare River Rafting. Overnight Grano de Oro.

A.M. transfer to airport.

5 nights--PV
2 nights--Tortuguero
2 nights--La Selva
3 nights--San Jose (Orquideas/Grano de Oro)

If you want a more relaxing angle, then drop either your Poas day or your Pacuare Day and spend the last full day at a spa near the airport such as Xandari. Come home all relaxed into your Pura Vida!
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

I will look at your suggestions Shillmac. You were just super with our last travels to CR. This time we just didn't want to be in the car so much & just enjoy the jungle, water & wildlife. We've got most of it all booked except for the flight which went up quite a bit while I was tweeking my itinerary but no worries. It will come down (I'm planning to do Lasca with their nonstop & avoiding American if at all possible). We took a day trip to Key West last year & thought it was very interesting. We'll be staying in Key Largo (just like Bogie & McCall) so I'll write a report & let you know what all we did while there.