Search

fernando de naronha

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fernando de naronha

I am looking for advice regarding the specifics for arranging a 4 day trip to fernando de naronha including:
1. Is there a particularly great place to stay?
2. Any info about Pousada Maravilha (article in T&L June 2004)
3. Other than plane and hotel reservations are any additional advance arrangements necessary?
Old Jul 6th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Phertz,

I'm currently planning a trip to Brazil and we too thought about visiting Fernando de Naronha...we decided to concentrate on several other destinations and so we won't be visiting the island but I thought it was worth mentioning one point which you may or may not know...

Fernando de Naronha is included on the Varig Brazil Airpass , this seems to be the only pass that includes this destination so it's definately worth checking out if you decide to go.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Phertz1,
Pusada Maravilha is certainly the most luxury place to go on Fernando de Noronha.
I never had the opportunitty to visit there, but many friends say the island is special.
Some advices from them:
1. Take Reais (money cash) with you. Most places does not accept credit card. Make sure you do exchange at the airport (Recife or Natal) before getting there.
2. The island is not very big to discover on foot (depends on you!). Many people rent motos or buggies for the period they will spend there. It's a good choice to explore everything! Although if you don't want to rent, there is some buggy taxis there!
3. Once you are tehere, don't forget to:
a) visit Praia do Leao (wonderful view)
b) do a boat tour to see the dolphins
c) do some diving at Praia do Sueste and Prais do Sancho to see the turtles!
d) At night go to Bar do Cachorro (Dog bar) to dance forró (a local dance)

Hope it helps!

Dudi
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 08:09 AM

We visited FDN in 2000 and are planning a trip again for next year. We stayed at Monsieur Rocha's pousada, which we loved. We had a room in a separate back section from the main hotel, which we were very happy with.

I believe prices have gone up a bit on the island since we were there. I don't think that Pousada maravilha even existed then.

We went without any hotel reservations at all, around Thanksgiving. However, next year we will be going right after Carnival, so it's still a bit high season. I will try to make hotel reservations just in case. depends what time of year you go. If you go during temporada (between Christmas and Carnival) you definitely need reservations.

Biggest issue: 4 days is not enought time. And there's only 1 plane a day from Recife and/or Salvador to the island.
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:38 AM

You can also fly to FN from Natal on TRIP Airlines. Also, when you arrive at the airport, you fill out a form and pay the daily environment tax for staying there. The number of tourists on FN is prescribed by law to maintain the island. Also, make sure someone from the hotel is there to pick you up. I have been to FN twice, and I loved it. There are lots of little pousadas to stay in around the island, but most of them are located around Rua de Floresta Nova. In my opinion, the best way to see FN is by buggy, and ask your hotel for recommendations for safe buggy drivers. I remember, the first time I went, I happened to arrive on a Weds, when the big tour boat is docked there. All the buggy drivers were booked, and two of the beaches were closed because they are so strict about maintaining the ambiant. But, finally, a cousin of the woman where I was staying, took me around and it was great. There are also lots of opportunities for snorkel/scuba. I also took the boat tours which were good to get a flavor. It was great, because lots of dolphins followed the boat to Praia dos Golfinos! Work out a price with the buggy drivers--they aren't cheap, but worth it. Also, they can take you to a gorgeous beach to watch the incredible sunsets. Remember that FN is VERY simple. If you stay in Floresta Nova, you can walk to a place that serves a great buffet for lunch and dinner. The pousadas can tell you how to get there. There are really no restaurants around. In the little main town where the church is, there are a couple of simple places. There is also a bar/dance area at Praia do Cochorro at the edge of town.