Search

Must see and do advice!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2004, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must see and do advice!

Thanks to advice from this forum, I have finally nailed down my itineray and hotel plans for a week in CR. Now it would be great it anyone could recommend activities, restaurants, and things not to miss during our stay in these areas. Thanks!
Day 1- arrive approx. noon in San Jose, stay with my son's host family in Heredia
Day 2- travel to Manuel Antonio and stay at Costa Verde
Day 3- MA
Day 4 MA
Day 5- travel to Arenal and stay at Tabacon resort
Day 6- Arenal
Day 7- in afternoon travel back to San Jose and stay at Melia Cariari
Day 8- 1:49 flight home- Do you think I would have time to see anything in the general vicinity before the flight home???
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 12:15 PM

I just stayed at the Melia Cariari - it is definitely a conference hotel with little Costa Rica flavor - but it serves its purpose. The hotel & my guidebook had recommended La Monesterie Mirador for dinner but we didn't have appropriate clothes and/or want to try to find it in the dark. Besides that, there was not much we found to do in this area & I would choose to stay at another property in the future such as Xandari or Vista del Valle that everyone talks about. But, I thought we'd be getting there closer to dinner & it turned out we got there around 1pm & didn't leave until 150pm the next day. Felt stuck. Just my opinion!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:20 PM

I stayed at Costa Verde last month. I'd recommend Canopy Safari (they can book at reception), that was a lot of fun. The park of course. Across the street at La Cantina they have great food & a great band, usually starts playing around 8pm. Cesar is a waiter there & loves to talk about the area & the chairs (I fell in love with their rocking chairs they make on-site). The bus picks up right by the Cantina grill to the park and drops you right at the entrance, just ask the driver when you pass Karahe. I saw a lot of animals just walking around the grounds at various times, so it definitely pays to wander around. There is an atm about 1 km North of the hotel and a mini-mart about 1.5 km's North. Have a great time!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:21 PM

oops, I meant to say drops you off at the entrance to the hotel on your way back.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

I would like to stay at a place a little more "Costa Rica-like" that last night, but got a room for $75. It also provides transportation to airport. If anyone has any better ideas that are in a moderate price range, I'd change my plans in a heart beat. We probably won't get to the hotel until near dinner time, since I'd like to stay in Arenal as long as possible before heading back. I think there is a afternoon bus. So, really won't have much time.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:16 PM

If you won't be getting there til dinner, it will probably be fine for you. We ate dinner at the Melia in the Steakhouse - $11 for a filet with gorgonzola & spinach - really good. My husband got the NY Strip for $33 & was not nearly as good as mine. We went in with shorts & not really dressed nicely (had asked first if it was ok) and we were fine. Enjoy!
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:27 PM

Here is the link to a nice little B&B in Alajuela, the town nearest the airport. This place is quite inexpensive but quite accommodating, clean and secure. It is owned by an American but managed by Costa Ricans, and they will provide transportation to/from the airport. You will be able to explore a small city on the day before you leave.

http://www.vidatropical.com/

Also, the following is a great website for locating small inns in Costa Rica:

http://www.costaricainnkeepers.com/
Old Jul 30th, 2004, 07:47 AM

-
Recent article about Costa Rica in last week's Chicago Sun Times, "Must-a Rica" that may help > > > http://www.suntimes.com/output/trave...starica25.html