Family vacation in August at Mayan Riviera?

Jan 17th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Jerry

Family vacation in August at Mayan Riviera?

My wife and I are thinking of doing the family vacation thing in Mexico this year, instead of the Outer Banks. We think the kids would enjoy experiencing another culture, and definately want to spend a little time visiting Mayan sites.

Ideally, we'd like to stay at a place that does not make you hike a mile to get to the beach (as I hear some resorts in MR do), which are kid friendly, and AI. Any suggestions?

Also, what's it like in August?

Jerry

Jan 17th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Ally

You might want to look into The Reef Club Playacar. It's a smaller 'moderate'AI, so not that far a walk to the beach. It's got two pools, one for activities and one with a swim up bar, although these pools are not nearly as large as the other resorts. It has a Kids Club and all the kids I saw were busy and happy. I was there in August of 2001. While it was very, very hot, I would go at this time of year again as cost and crowds are less. Any 'tours' you want to take, or a visit to the ruins will need to be done EARLY morning to avoid most the heat and crowds, while you'll want to be near the pool or ocean in the afternoon. You may or may not get a shower, but also know it's hurricane season! While we were there, the sky threatened rain one afternoon, but never materialized. Good luck and happy planning!

Jan 17th, 2003, 10:16 PM
LIZ

The resorts in the Playacar complex outside of Playa Del Carmen are not huge mega resorts. The Gala has a reputation for being a great family resort.

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:37 PM
ss

Gala is for you. Only about 300 rms and a great kids program. If your kids are 9 or older, it is small enough to let them have the run of the place. They are never more than a hundred yards away. You can get an oceanfront room and still be close to the restaurants and activities

Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:52 PM
x

make sure your kids understand how very hot and humid it is going to be so they won't be whinning about it when you get there. it is officially hurricane season but it usually doesn't start until september.