Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Xpu ha palace, gala or IB Quetzal, which is best for a family of 4 (Kids 7 &3)

Jun 26th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

We are planning our winter break holiday, a family of four and considering these 3 hotels. Which is the all around best experience. Must have connecting rooms or a real one bedroom suite option
Jun 26th, 2003, 08:48 AM

If you are interested in an all-inclusive, I have heard nothing but good things about the Royal Hideaway.

Not sure about the other properties you mentioned, but I'd avoid Xpu Ha.

I have seen Xpu Ha, and the whole complex is very large, garish and the beach is a long walk from many of the buildings there. (A verrrry long walk for young kids.)

It was built on a turtle nesting grounds, so there are also sometimes environmental demonstrators and signs, but I don't know how frequent that is.

So many much nicer places to stay.

Jun 26th, 2003, 06:29 PM

We enjoyed Iberostar Queztal a year or so ago, with three kids then aged 10, 8 and 6. We had huge connecting rooms, very comfortable. The resort has a jungle running through it, which the kids loved. Beautiful pool and beach. Met a family who had stayed the previous year at Gala Resort (next door) and preferred IB. You can't go wrong with it; the nicest AI we've ever been to.
Jun 27th, 2003, 06:50 AM

I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of these but, both the Gala and IB are very close to PLaya Del Carmen, which is a nice little Mexican town with the ferry to Cozumel (an easy excursion you can do on your own). Xpu Ha is not really near any town.
Jun 27th, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Sandra,

Thanks, it is helpful that you have kids similar age. Did you use the kids club? I keep reading there are not enough chairs at the pool, did you find this to be a problem? How was the food, I dont believe children need five star cuisine, but was it dealable for the adults?
Jun 28th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Just returned this week from Xpu-Ha. Go somewhere else !!!!. I have been to many AI's and this was THE WORST EVER. The food is horrible. They have a Mexican restaurant that is ok except to me they use too much salantra (my wife said it was good)The Italian and Chinese had the same food but under differ names. It sucked all the way around(whole family agrees). The grill was ok for breakfast and I heard they had the best meals (steaks etc) at night but did not make it. The lunch grill by the inlet was the best for lunch but the line was soooo long and it was hotter than blue blazes waiting for your selection by the grill.
We asked for beachside room and we could see the beach through the leaves about 300 yards away. I was upset. Their transportation stunk to high heaven and they had one driver, Victor, who was meaner than heck. I tried to combat meaness by being very nice. Once the carts drove up I said "Hy Victor" and it wasn't him and the driver said " I am a lot nicer than Victor is" I told him I was sorry. The shower had to be on cold because scalding hot water came out about every 20 seconds no matter what the temp was set on. The Chaza travel desk there was a disaster. I booked golf for my son and wife with transportation etc. They never came, missed tee time pickup etc. My diving trip with my daughter also booked with them. They never came. I was scared I would miss it (it was to be in Cozumel) so we took a taxi to Playa del Carmen and caught up with the shop. When they were getting ready to send us all back to the hotels I asked them if they were going to send me back since they didn't pick me up and the guy says & I quote "You didn't book with Chaza travel did you ?" My daughter started laughing and the dive shop man said it happens to them all the time and they eat the cost of transportation and can't make them stop doing that to clients. Needless to say I did get my taxi fare reimbursed. Getting there from the airport were 2 couples with children who were returning to the area and had both stayed at Xpu-haha before. They did nothing but trash it the whole way down. I was getting pissed at my travel agent at that time but then they said they loved it after they got home. I can go on and on but I better not. I left out a lot of details but will explain more if you ask. Good Luck I liked the Omni at Puerto Adventura.
Rick
Jun 30th, 2003, 04:22 AM

I would not take children to the Royal Hideaway as it is suitable mostly for adults. I would take them to the Iberostar which is fantastic for aldults and children alike.
Aug 21st, 2003, 02:32 PM

ttt for riverwood