Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Family Oriented All-Inclusive in Cancun/Riviera Maya?

Jul 17th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

I have been researching for a family trip to Cancun in August - we're still looking for a place! I've never done Caribbean Mexico, only the Pacific side and don't know much about the area.

My aunt is concerned about her kids (age 10 to 17) and run-ins with topless sunbathers & overall raunchiness to be avoided. We have heard Cancun is like Waikiki...we want something more lush/tropical and family oriented.

Any recommendations on great all-inclusives and/or beaches to go in a lush, tropical area where people don't mind tanlines, and where there is enough for everyone to do??

We are leaning toward the Hotel Marina El Cid Riviera Maya in Puerto Morelos. Or maybe the Moon Palace in Cancun. Thanks for any insight!
Jul 17th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Check out the Iberostar resorts. There are the Tucan/Quetzel in Playacar and the IB Paraiso complex which consists of the Lindo/Maya and Beach/Del Mar. They are all wonderful and famility oriented. You will see occassional topless women on the beach at any of these places. It's no big deal.
Jul 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM

Dreams looks like a really good family place, if you're interested in a family all inclusive with a good beach.
Moon Palace is to be avoided if you care about a nice beach. It's not really in Cancun. Haven't read good things about Marina el Cid, either.
The Yucatan Peninsula is not as lush as Hawaii, though the water is much more beautiful.
Jul 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Take a look at Paradisus Riviera Cancun. It is about a 15 minute drive south of the Cancun airport. We were there for a week last August. There were tons of kids there and none of them looked bored. I don't remember any topless, but I wasn't looking either. Many, many, many families so I doubt topless.
Jul 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM

Check out tripadvisor. They have a great hotel review section. You can sort the hotels for those good for families. We're going to Mexico for the first time March '08. Traveling with two teen boys. We've chosen the Sandos Playacar, basically because its smaller and the beach is supposed to be the best in the area. We also considered condos at Xaman Ha, which is within walking distance to 5th Ave, the pedestrian only shopping, restaurant area. Because it is our first trip, we chose the AI instead of trying the condo this time. The Iberostars appear to have nicer facilities, but we really wanted a nice, wide beach. It's a daunting task trying to choose the perfect resort. Good luck with your search and let us know what you ultimately choose.
Jul 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Ooh, thanks for all the info! Sherrie, I really like that TripAdvisor site and some of the recommendations you all gave are listed there for families. That Paradisus resort looks beautiful! Maybe a little pricey?

Also, I spoke with a travel agent, and they are heavily recommending Iberostar, reinforcing Schmerl's post. She said they are a great company with great resorts, the Tucan is near the great snorkeling area on the way to Tulum, and that Riviera Maya overall is the more family oriented area, and more low-rise than high rise buildings. Does that sound right?
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:48 PM

If this helps any, I went to playa del carmen with a friend for a weekend getaway and am looking at going with my DH and 3 kids this year. I loved the town. You really don't need an AI in this town as there are great restaurants everywhere and they are reasonable as well as being able to grab a great piece of pizza for $1.60 a huge slice. I don't like being stuck on a resort so Playa is perfect for me. I am also looking into Isla Mujeres. I've heard good things about Iberostar too, but if I head to playa..it will be to a condo vs and AI. Most places are not more than 3 floors. It is really quite nice and if you are in the right area of Playa...you can walk everywhere...even to the ferry dock to go to Cozumel. I do not like Cancun at all...I might at well go to south florida. Playa is great. Hope this helps.
Jul 21st, 2007, 08:58 AM

We just came back from our 1st vacation in Riviera Maya w/ 9 yr old kid.

We stayed in Azul Beach Hotel in Puerto Morelos, and highly recommended if you'd choose small-mid sized quiet resort. Basically, that's what we were looking for. We're not big fan of mega sized hotels anyway.

Their private beach is topless prohibited so not to worry about it. The hotel is super kids-friendly, kids-club is available and offer activities even for a one kid. Many items are available for infants (bottle warmer, bed, etc).

There is no line what-so-ever for breakfast/lunch/dinner, no reservation needed and no dress code. AI but not typical, you can actually pick anything from menu and they cook for you. No buffet (only breakfast if you'd like. They've breakfast menu as well).

Great thing about this hotel is 24 hr room service is also included in case if you want to have something to eat late night or not in mood for dining out. DVD movie rentals are also available and its free. Good size of kiddie pool, beach is nice & calm, you can see various fishes here & there, able to enjoy snorkeling as well. They also have so called beach butler service, staffs are walking around and you can ask for drinks or extra towels if needed (and, yes - this is also included).

I've been to Hawaii 3 times but Puerto Morelos or this hotel is nothing like Waikiki. Takes only 30 mins or less drive from Cancun airport.

Good luck with your search.