Explora Atacama or Explora Patagonia or Los Notros??

Jan 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Explora Atacama or Explora Patagonia or Los Notros??

Cleraly we cannot afford all three but are convinced we would like to try one of the three. Which one would you recommend in Last week in Dec? Is it too windy at Explora Patagonia? Is it better weather at Los Notros? What are the main differences that will help me to decide? Your input is appreciated.
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:05 AM

the atacama is the most amazing thing i have ever seen. that being said, december is not a good time to visit. (think desert in the middle of summer). however, if you think this is your only opportunity to see the atacama, then i say go for it anyway. it is unbelievable!
Feb 18th, 2007, 03:43 AM

I rode down thru Patagonia on a small Honda last November (www.simongandolfi.com and hit the Blog button). A sail would have been more effective than the 125 motor! A couple of days I had trouble keeping on the road. Wonderful wild flowers and bird-life, superb views, great people, enormous distances! And of course, masses of my fellow countymen from Herefordfshire - though these had four legs. Good luck, take care, have fun...
Feb 28th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Vacationer 1:

Both Exploras are great that time of year (Dec-Jan) if you can get in. Explora Patagonia seems to book up for Xmas one year in advance. I went to Explora Atacama in early January 2006 and it was perfect weather--not too hot at all. Best to be there after the Xmas rush because the guides are stressed and overworked when the lodge is full. I wore long sleave shirts during the day in the Atacama in the first week of Jan.. The horseback riding in both places is phenomenal. The pools at Atacama are not heated and were cold. You would think at $1000 a nite they would be heated. I would do them both back to back---Explora has a special rate for this and many travel agents (not explora though) will provide complimentary airfare between the two if you book with them. However you might get tired of the food. All a bit too fussy for an adventure lodge. As far as Los Notros goes, skip it. Over-rated and overpriced---small rooms. In place of it go to Eolo outside El Calafate. Great new property with killer views--I was in awe waking up with the curtains open. You can see my review and others on Tripadvisor. You could do Atacama and Eolo back to back for less money. Eolo's four day package was a little more than half of Exploras. The only problem is transport between the two. If you want to know about that, let me know. Very complicated. it involved a $400 taxi ride.
Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

If we stay at Eolo, how much of a drive is it from airport? glacier? to the all boat trip? approx how much is the cost?
Mar 4th, 2007, 06:06 AM

You are about 45 mintes form the airport in El Calafate. Moreno is about an hour drive if I rememeber correcty and the 3 glacier boat tour is about 10 minutes away. For prices you have to go

http://www.eolo.com.ar/

Luxury link had a package recently

http://www.luxurylink.com/auctions/a...id=150793&nav=

I think we paid $2500 for four days?

I would recommend getting your own car because the transfers are VERY expensive and the roads are all paved.