Entering Guatemala on a One-Way Ticket

Oct 30th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Entering Guatemala on a One-Way Ticket

I will be arriving in Guatemala in November and intend to travel onward by bus to Nicaragua. Will I have a problem arriving on a one-way ticket?

How could I avoid difficulties upon arrival?

Thank you, fellow travellers.
Oct 30th, 2015, 06:55 PM

You may have problems. Guatemala requires you to enter with a return or onward ticket in hand. Your problem could be at airport check-in in the U.S. The check-in agent will see that requirement and ask where your ticket out of Guatemala is. If you can't produce it, they may never allow you to board the plane in the first place.

Guatemala, Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador share a four-nation customs/immigration union called the CA-4. Entry in one country effectively serves as entry in the other three. Even a trip to Nicaragua is not "leaving the country" for these purposes.
Oct 30th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Jeff. Now that I know the distances and the modes of transportation, I will secure a ticket out of Guatemala to Nicaragua.

Cheers
Oct 31st, 2015, 12:05 AM

>>I will secure a ticket out of Guatemala to Nicaragua.<<

I think you may have misunderstood Jeff_Costa_Rica's post.

>>Even a trip to Nicaragua is not "leaving the country" for these purposes.<<

I'm pretty sure you will need an onward ticket (out of CA-4). But maybe Jeff can clarify . . .
Oct 31st, 2015, 05:45 AM

I've gone to Guatemala twice in the past three months and neither time was I asked for a return ticket or anything else other than the passport. Then again, it was a US passport and I don't look like a backpacker (these factors have been reported to trigger the continuing travel question at times for others).
Oct 31st, 2015, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. I will not be backpacking.(somewhat of a disadvantage when it comes to packing ) Having worked with an airline here in Canada, I understand from the airline perspective. Noted!
Oct 31st, 2015, 04:46 PM

I forgot to mention, many times a return flight out of a nearby country will work just as well. One time when I *was* asked for my return ticket (not in Guatemala), it was from two countries away but the immigration guy was satisfied with that.
Oct 31st, 2015, 09:20 PM

"I've gone to Guatemala twice in the past three months and neither time was I asked for a return ticket or anything else other than the passport."

The first point of enforcement of enforcement of these rules is not upon arrival in the country, but when you check in for your flight at home. The person at the airline check-in counter will see the requirement and want to see your onward ticket right then and there. Without it, you won't get on the plane.

A plane ticket out of Nicaragua should satisfy that requirement. Again, think of traveling in Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, and Nicaragua as traveling around one big country, like traveling around the European Union.
Nov 1st, 2015, 02:13 PM

"The first point of enforcement of enforcement of these rules is not upon arrival in the country, but when you check in for your flight at home. "

If you re-read you will see I did not specify were I was not questioned. For the record, neither at the departing airport nor at immigration. I was only providing a data point.
Nov 1st, 2015, 04:23 PM

We visit Guatemala 2 or 3 times a year and most trips fly out of either Belize or Honduras; never had a problem at the airports or at the borders.
Nov 2nd, 2015, 06:56 AM

I'm providing a data point too. The questioning usually occurs at airport check-in.
Nov 23rd, 2015, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Well I am happy to say that I boarded a plane and entered Guatemala on a O.W ticket - no questions asked.

I am now discovering this beautiful, mystical country.

Step out on a leap of faith!