Easter Island Recommendations?

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Easter Island Recommendations?

Hello! My husband and I are traveling to Easter Island in about 2 weeks. We have 3 full days to explore the island (solo, no tours reserved yet), and have our hotel (Gomero) and 4WD vehicle reserved. We also have our Fodor's guide, which shows some recommended routes of touring and the best spots to see. However, I am wondering if anyone can give us any further recommendations or tips on anything you may find helpful. For example, are there certain areas that are overrun by tour groups at certain times of the day? Or is there a particular tour that we should really consider? Is there a favorite spot to see a sunrise or sunset? Or anything else anyone found to be helpful? Thank you! Joanna
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Hi Jetskreemer,

I know it has been a while since you were at Easter Island, and it seems that you did not get any feedback before you went.

We are going in December and seem to be doing a very similar thing to what you had planned. How did you find it? Is it OK going around by yourself in a hired jeep 4 X 4?

Thanks and regards
Old Oct 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM

My dad just got back from Easter Island and said a 4WD was the way to go. He got bored, however, after two days. He said it is a sort of lonely and barren place. But if you are looking for peace and quiet that might be the place to go. He enjoyed it, but found there wasn't a lot to do to keep him busy. Oh, and he commented on how windy it was.
Old Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:43 AM

Thanks twoinluv. We will only be there for two nights, so I think it will be interestding for that time. I have read guides that say you need four nights, but I think that would be too much. In any case, there is not much choice regarding flights out, so we have to leave when we do. We ill give it a try four wheel driving by ourselves - sure it will be OK.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Hi! did you like the Gomero ; we were thinking of the Orongo; or even the Manutara???

any advice; do we need hiking boots? raingear etc? thnks
Old Nov 7th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Hello all,
As a followup, we absolutely loved every minute on Easter Island and would tell all who can to visit! We spent the 3 day trip there and loved it and thought it was just the right amount of time to see everything.

As for the questions, I think the best spot to visit hands down was the quarry (on the mountain Rano Raraku), where all statues were carved. We loved it so much we went there twice! We also visited almost all of the restored sites on the island (all were amazing), as well as drove to the top of the Rano Kau -- definitely drive to the top of this mountain as well. The view into the caldera is breathtaking.

And yes, visiting by yourself in a 4x4 was the way to go. We are not partial to tour groups, although we didn't see many of them at that time of year.

Then there is the thing I would recommend you NOT do. Do NOT try and drive the pass between the mountains at Rano Aroi. I have to say the scenery was amazing, but the roads were so awful (not just bumpy but extremely vertical, car sliding downhill, etc) that we thought we might tip the car over, so we turned around and went back. One other person was driving through there with us, and he eventually made it though the worst, but we thought we might have to rescue each other at some point!

As for the hotel, we loved the Gomero. The owners were so sweet and charming, and their breakfasts were unbelievably fabulous. When we went, we were the only people there, so we would chat with them every morning about their lives on Easter Island, it was fascinating!

And yes, the island was very windy most of the time, but since it was warm it did not bother us. Yes, bring hiking shoes or boots as that is all you will do. And we brought rain jackets and needed them on one day for a short time, as with the wind you would want to block the blowing rain.

We just loved this trip, and I hope you do too!
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Jed

We loved EI, and visiting it was thrilling and memorable. I still have the picture of the moais as my screensaver.

Did you consider getting a guide to provide you with information? Does '3 days' mean 2 or 3 nights? We stayed 3 nights and thought 2 would be sufficient.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 08:22 AM

Thanks for the report on Easter Island -- I will be visiting next May, also for three days, arriving from Papeete.

Michael