Early planning stages, Aug in CR?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2009, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think we've narrowed it down to August for our CR trip next summer. Not my first choice, too much chance for rain. But the exciting news is that my son, who's 10, just was accepted to be a student ambassador on an two week program to England and France!! So cool! I'm thrilled for him, but the mom in me is nervous as well. He'll be with a group of 40 kids, all 5th and 6th graders. Anyway, they go at the end of June, beginning of July. We wanted to go to CR in the beginning of June, but he'll have preparation meetings before his trip and I don't want to overwhelm him TOO much!

So, August is looking like our travel time. Our last trip to CR was end of July, beginning of Aug and it just really rained a LOT. But - I want to take my parents and the kids and forgo the annual beach trip to the NJ shore and show them the beauty of CR! So, first question...I've had my eye on Ylang Ylang with all these recent posts. Initially I was considering Arenal, Peace Lodge and BDC - but would a switch to Ylang Ylang instead of BDC give us some great wildlife, beach time, and maybe less chance of rain?

I'm aiming for 10 days plus 2 travel days. Haven't looked into an actual timeline of which location in which order yet, so I'm open to suggestions.

Any other suggestions? I definitely want to keep Arenal and Peace Lodge in the mix.

Thanks!!!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 07:47 AM

Hi Shell,

Rincon de la Vieja area is also nice in August...Anita's nice there.

In August you are right Guanacaste/Nicoya does tend to get less rain

Usually go there when I go in August.

www.ylangylangresort.com www.hotelcasachameleon.com

are my 2 favs there.

Nicer beaches surfing than many areas Cabo Blanco for wildlife.

Have fun,
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 07:49 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...inforest_Ranch
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 08:15 AM

gwo, I've had my eye on both those properties. If you had to choose, would you prefer Ylang Ylang or Casa Chameleon? Which one do you think would give us better wildlife sightings?

Shell, if you go with Ylang Ylang, I can't wait to hear about it.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 09:10 AM

shelld, just to clarify qwo's post: Guanacaste region (up north) is usually a bit drier. Rincon is in that area.

Ylang Ylang and Casa Chameleon, however, are NOT in that area. They are in Puntarenas province, far south Nicoya Peninsula. You are likely to get more rain there, although you certainly may not. This is not Guanacaste.

You know, I think you'll probably be all right. We have spent the first few days of August in Costa Rica many times. We came home mid July this past year, but the year before that we were in Manuel Antonio the first few days of August and it was fine. The rain didn't hamper our plans at all.

Good luck--I know you are dying to plan something! Me, too!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 09:13 AM

volcanogirl,

These 2 hotels are in 2 different areas, which you probably know. Santa Tersa/MalPais area and Montzuma. Since they are about 30-45 minutes apart, I think it would be great if you didn't have to choose, but could stay Ylang Ylang 3 nights, CC two, or vice versa. The areas each have distinctive things to do, more near Montezuma. It's been a few years since we were at MalPais, 5 to be exact!, and I know it has changed quite a bit. May not be as "sleepy" as it once was, but it's a great place for chilling at a super nice hotel! And of course, Montezuma has the falls, Cabo Blanco is nearby in Cabuya, etc. 5 days in the area would be pretty cool. Or 4.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,

If it was just my husband and I, I'd probably go to Casa Chameleon. It looks great! Very romantic and very beautiful! But they don't accept children and it doesn't look like a kid friendly property even if they did. But since we're taking our kids, and my parents as well, for this trip Ylang Ylang would be the option between the two.

Maybe I'll look in the Guanacaste area...I hadn't thought much about it before! How's the wildlife there? It's not that I'm basing the whole trip on wildlife sightings, but for my parents first visit to the country, I'd love for them to be as "wowed" as we were! Especially given the pictures they've seen and what they've heard from us!
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 12:27 PM

I wouldn't call Guanacaste a wildlife hot spot. Certainly not like BdC, Manuel Antonio, etc. In the Rincon de la Vieja, you are likely to see wildlife. There has been so much development there that wildlife is best seen other areas. That said, the Palo Verde tour in Guanacaste should be a big winner if you'd like to experience some nature in that area. It's one of the OTS locations, like La Selva. We sure like Playa Flamingo/Potrero area, but not for wildlife.
Old Oct 12th, 2009, 01:26 PM

Thanks, shill and shell!