Search

Driving to Bosque del Cabo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving to Bosque del Cabo

I'm planning a trip to Costa Rica. We will rent a 4x4 and drive ourselves (Arenal, Monteverde, MA, Dominical, Osa). At the end we will stay at BDC (yes!!). I'm a little worried about the last part of route (from Puerto Jimenez to BDC). Do we have to cross any water/river? Do you think it is better/more save to drive behind an other car (for example a car from BDC picking up people from the airport). When yes, does BDC have a schedule for picking up people from the airport?
Thank you very much! I have read a lot already on Fodor's and can't wait to go! (Jan/Feb 2009).
Rosa from the Netherlands
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 08:42 AM

We had BdC pick us up at the airport and drive us, and we did cross a few streams. During the time we went, there wasn't that much water in them. I think it would depend upon when you're going, rainy season, etc. We scheduled our pickup based on when our flight was arriving. I think it would depend on when the Sansa and Nature Air flights arrive that day and if guests are on them. You're pretty adventurous!
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Actually, people drive in there fairly frequently. You won't have any problems once someone points the way. You may have a few shallow crossings, but in January/February, I doubt it. It will be bumpy--that's about it.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 04:35 PM

I will be driving there in June, from the Dominical/Uvita area. Having been on that road many times I feel pretty confident I will have no problems, and feel the same for you. Jan/Feb should be issue at all; the only slight river crossings I've seen (very shallow) have been in May or June. Would love to hear your thoughts and how it went when you return.
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,we are there in the dry season so I think we will be OK then! I will let you know when I'm back!
Rosa
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 03:49 AM

Yep, you'll be fine. We also encountered trees across the road and herds of cows - all part of the fun! You will love BdC.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 06:26 PM

I'm glad this issue came up, because I have a driving to/from BdC question, also. We're booked into BdC the end of April, then are scheduled for a wedding in Manuel Antonio at the end of the week. Are there pro's and con's to driving vs. flying from the Osa to MA? It would be a one way trip, because after a few days with the wedding party, we're heading back home via San Jose.
Thanks for any advice.
Old Nov 21st, 2008, 10:45 PM

Pros to driving: scenic route
Cons: slower, car drop off expense

Pros to flying: scenic route (different angle!); faster
Cons: missing out on what is in between
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 03:19 AM

For me, I would fly - just because CR has so much to offer that I don't want to spend my time on the road getting from place to place, but if you enjoy the driving and the scenery of in between places, then driving is probably best for you.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 04:31 AM

etm - I agree there are pros & cons to the idea. If you fly down to PJ and then drive from PJ to MA, I think it runs (and I may be off!) about 7-8 all told, so it is a pretty good chunk of the day. The road from BdC to PJ is notoriously bumpy, and I believe the road from PJ to Chacarita is about the same shape. But from what I hear the road from there to Dominical is in great shape (and very scenic), and then again back to the bad road from Dominical to Quepos. I know with Solid rentals you can pick up at PJ and drop off in Dominical, you may want to ask BdC if they know if you can drop off in MA or SJO.

Another thing you may want to keep in mind - sometimes there are flights between PJ and MA and sometimes you have to back track to SJO, which could be time consuming as well (and add up fast moneywise).
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 05:03 AM

We've done this on a bus actually, which of course is slower than a car. We got as far as a washed out bridge about 5km south of Dominical. I WISH I could remember the exact times, but I think 7-8 may be a little long. PJ-Chacarita is at least paved (I THINK--it's been 5 years). I think that stretch took about 2.5 hours. From Palmar Norte to Dominical was to have been less than an hour (and the road was amazing). It was raining incredibly hard and thus the washed out bridge. Dominical to MA definitely a bummer of a road--takes about 1.5 hour for 48km.

So I'm guessing about 5 hours straight driving. I'd venture it could take about 5.5--especially considering I didn't include the drive from BdC. Seems like I've heard it said the drive from Puerto Jimenez to San Jose is 8 hours, so perhaps 5 hours or so is more on.

Tully will have a full report on that this coming summer after she drives it! She's younger, so her memory will be better.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 08:54 AM

Hey, what about tully's trip report on Argentina - did I miss it?
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 07:51 PM

shillmac I'll take your estimate over mine! Though if hvc ends up as my navigator and we get lost, I have an excuse

vg - yes you missed it! It sunk pretty fast, lol. If you click on my name and scroll down you should come across it.
Old Nov 22nd, 2008, 09:32 PM

tully -- When I'm the navigator you can be sure we'll get lost. ;-) Just kiddin', I know how to read a map!
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 04:40 AM

Thanks, tully - I'll go check it out!
Old Nov 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM

I missed it, too.

hip, do you get the feeling you're gonna be the "fall girl" come June? Already you've been set up to receive the blame for any navigational errors--and then there's that "tuna melt here kitty kitty" thing. LOL

My estimate may be crazy wrong, because I really can't remember the time factor between PJ and Palmar Norte. I just remember the driver kept honking his horn at every Pedro, Juan, and Rosa alongside the road, and everyone waved from their porches. Guess he knew them all?

And DH insisted in PJ that we be last to board because we had "assigned seats on the ticket". Ha. He ended up in the very back, and I was midway next to a totally charming 22 year old Tico from Pavones. I practiced my espanol the entire time, so paying attention to the clock wasn't on my list of things to do! LOL