Driving condition from Tulum to Chichen Itza

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the driving condition from Tulum to Chichen Itza? I assume that I should take the route via coba and Valladolid instead of going back to Cancun. Is this part of the route an easy drive? Will I be able to connect to the tollroad after I reach Valladolid? Thanks.
Old Oct 29th, 2004, 06:01 PM

playadelcarmeninfo.com gives excellent driving instructions to Chichen.

From Tulum, you'll want to go past Coba and to Valladolid - it's more direct.

We drove home in the dark and it was hell!!! Just like it says in the driving info. I don't reccommend it.
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Original Poster

Is it still somewhat rough to drive during the day time? Just have to be extra cautious since we will have our 3 year old with us. Thanks.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 12:14 PM

We are a family of 4 with a 1 1/2 yr old and 11 yr old. There is nowhere to really stop along the road - no shoulders, but there are some pull-in drives along the road in case of emergency. These belong to people who live along the road and have them marked in interesting ways using trash.

It's basically a paved narrow 2 lane road with locals riding bikes, walking, etc. You just have to keep your eyes open.

At night, there are no additional street lights. Nothing out there, but then you may come across someone riding their bike.

I would not hestitate during the day. Print out the driving info and take it with you.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much, Pepper131! These infos are very helpful.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:26 PM

Haven't made the trip from Tolum to Coba since the Millenium but the road has always been like it has just been strafed and bombed! Even if you hit a fair stretch you can not get up any speed for the Topays (speed bumps). They are near Indian huts and they will destroy your car. It is an intresting drive though and Coba has the highest Pyramid in the Yucatan. If you see me broke down there on the 12th, please stop to help.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 06:28 AM

I have driven the Tulum--Coba route in the last month and didn't find it in bad condition. It does have its share of topes as does any non-tollroad in Mexico. Just don't drive at excessive speed and watch for the topes and you should have no problem!
Enjoy!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 09:06 AM

Xgao, I drove that route last year and like most posters above, it's pretty rough at night. It's not perilous but it can be intimidating b/c no lighting on the roads at night. Be sure to have a full tank of gas and a full size spare tire if you want to attempt this route, as there are not many gas stations or service stations along the road. During the day, however, it's a fun adventure if you're in the mood for a little bit of that. I had a blast!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 03:28 PM

Good advice from Sandra. I should have said that my advice was also only for daylight driving--wouldn't attempt that route at night (although have done it on the bus several times!)
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Since we are going to stay at either Playa or Akumal instead of Cancun, I think it makes sense that we take this route if it is not too onerous so we can get a glimpse of Coba on the way to Chichen Itza (Coba was not part of our itinerary initially as I was concerned that it might be too much for our son). From what I read this indeed seems doable.