driving on our own to the ruins??

Old May 20th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
driving on our own to the ruins??

Hi,
My husband and I will be staying at the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo in the riviera maya this summer and were debating on renting a car for a day and exploring some of the local ruins (tulum, etc) on our own. We've never been to the area so I don't know if this is recommended. Any opinions on the driving situation and how easy or difficult it is to find the ruins if driving on your own? Also, if you rented a car did you do so right from your hotel?
Thanks
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:15 AM

You can get to Tulum by bus, but with a car you could also get to Coba. Driving in Cancun is an extreme sport--be very diligent, don't drive at night, wear your seat belt, master the "left turn" (pull off to the right, wait for cars to pass, then scram across all lanes). If you venture to Coba, have the "shotgun" driver on tope alert--bumps or sometimes just ropes across the road to slow down the traffic. Disfruta!
Old May 20th, 2008, 07:22 AM

We always rent a car when visiting this area. Getting around is quite simple - just watch out for the speed bumps when approaching a town. Tulum is a very easy drive, and Coba isn't too bad now that the road has been improved. There aren't too many roads in the area, so finding things is easy.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:00 AM

Driving in this area is very easy. As mentioned above watch the bumps. Tulum and Coba are close and if you have a car, spend a night and hit one of the resorts (Xelha or Xcaret) as they are fun. I prefer renting the car as you are on your own time schedule. You can browse the town of Tulum and leisurly go down some of the beach roads and enjoy the beauty of the beaches.
Old May 20th, 2008, 08:25 AM

We also prefer to rent a car. It's best to go to the ruins in the morning. They are less crowded (tour buses arrive midday usually) and it's cooler. There are some very good restaurants along the highway in Tulum.
Old May 20th, 2008, 12:55 PM

Rent a car. The advice from TrvlMaven is spot on. There are lots of topes (speed bumps) on the road to Coba but overall the driving is easy.

I chose to buy all insurance for peace of mind and the daily rate was $62 with Avis for compact car.
Old May 20th, 2008, 05:56 PM

I drive quite a bit there also. Pay attention to the speed limits, wear your seat belt, be aware at the gas station, and enjoy yourself.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
I think if things/roads are marked then we should be ok. We drove for part of our trip in costa rica last year...that was an adventure b/c nothing is marked there.
Old May 21st, 2008, 06:18 AM

If you've driven in CR--then driving in the Yucatan will be a piece of cake!!!