Driving?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Angela

Driving?

My husband and I will be visiting Belize this summer. We were wondering if it would be a good idea to rent a car in order to tour part of the country. We will be staying on Ambergris Caye for 6 days and then back to Belize and the surrounding area for another 5 days. We were in Costa Rica last year and did rent a 4x4 - roads were not great but still a lot of fun. Any advice???

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:17 PM
Lan Sluder

Opinions vary; mine is that renting a car is a good idea. <BR> <BR>Buses are cheap, and they're a good way to get a feel for the "real Belize," but they get old quickly, and buses are few and far between to off-the-beaten path destinations. <BR> <BR>With a car, you can save a good bit of money on what otherwise would be expensive tours -- to places like Maya sites and the Zoo where a guide isn't really necessary (local guides are great for hiking and nature trips.) <BR> <BR>Roads in Belize vary from excellent (the Hummingbird, Northern Highway, Western Highway, parts of the Southern) to awful, but most are pretty well signed. <BR>Budget is my favorite car renter in Belize (offices at the international airport and near Belize City), but there are several other good ones. <BR> <BR>I would recommend you get out of Belize City and stay in elsewhere. Don't use Belize City as your headquarters. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder <BR>Belize First Magazine <BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 02:21 PM
angela dumont

Hello Lan, <BR>Thanks for the response. If we decide to rent a car, what area would you recommend? Given that it is the rainy season, would you suggest we stay closer to the coast? Or perhaps the Dangriga, Hopkins area? Would it then be possible to make it back to Belize City for a flight the same day we drive back to the city? Lastly, any comments on the Hamanasi resort? They seem to be offering a pretty affordable summer package. <BR>Thanks.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 03:25 PM
Lan Sluder

The rainy season in Belize doesn't mean monsoons (unless there's a tropical storm in the area). The northern part of the country gets no more rain than, say, Atlanta, or most any East Coast U.S. city. <BR> <BR>The farther south you go in Belize, the more rain. <BR> <BR>Coast or non-coast isn't that much of an issue -- rains in Belize, unlike Spain, do not fall mostly on the (coastal) plain. <BR> <BR>Yes, you can get back to Belize City from Dangriga, Hopkins, Placencia, etc. in about two and a half to three and a half hours, so it's possible to do it the day of your flight -- depending on the time of your flight and how early you get started. Remember that you need to check in early for international flights -- most airlines say two hours and while that's not 100% necessary you best not walk into the Belize international airport 15 minutes before your flight. <BR> <BR>Hamanasi I haven't stayed at yet, but it's a nice place, and we've gotten and I've seen only positive reports on it. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 06:02 PM
Angela Dumont

Thanks again for the very useful information. It's much appreciated. OK, one last question (or maybe 2 last questions). How would you compare the Jaguar Reef Lodge to Hamanasi, even though you yourself have not stayed there? And, what would be THE ONE place you would recommend (other than anything on Ambergris Caye) for a 5 night stay which combines outstanding activities with a &lt;jungle&gt; type flavor of comfortable accommodations, keeping in mind the July/August weather patterns. <BR>Thanks again. <BR>Angela

Old Jun 22nd, 2001, 06:31 AM
Lan Sluder

I have stayed at Jaguar Reef a few times, but as I say I haven't stayed at Hamanasi. The two are similar in some ways. Hamanasi is new, not completely finished; Jaguar Paw has been there since the mid-90s. I don't think Hamanasi has completed its "tree houses" yet and just has beachfront rooms whereas Jaguar Paw has rooms in duplex units spread around behind the main building. The beaches are similar; both have pools. Restaurants -- honestly the food is likely to vary depending on who is cooking. I have had good meals at Jaguar Reef. Beaches & Dreams closet to both has very good food, and there are some good little local restaurants (in people's homes, basically) in Hopkins. <BR> <BR>Hotels there hate to hear it talked about, but at times (not all the time but sometimes) the sandfleas in that are a can be pretty bad. <BR> <BR>As to one place to recommend, I would say it would be one of several jungle lodges -- Chan Chich, Ek 'Tun, maybe Blancaneaux. These three places are very different and they offer different things, so I couldn't pick just one. <BR> <BR>--Lan Sluder

Old Jun 30th, 2001, 12:19 PM
Adam Jeffrey

Lan, <BR><BR>Could you give names of some of the other car retal agents. The only two I can find on the net are Budget and Lewis Auto Rental.<BR><BR>Also, could you give a listing of the Mayan ruins that are reachable by car. And is it possible to drive to Tikal(w/ out guide assistance) and how much would it cost?<BR><BR>Thanks for the help, Adam Jeffrey

Old Jul 2nd, 2001, 11:09 AM
Lan Sluder

Adam,<BR><BR>Besides Budget (which I prefer), there are several other "majors" at the international airport -- Hertz, Avis, Thrifty. National was there but is no longer represented in Belize.<BR><BR>Among the locals, Crystal is probably the best known and also has a location at the international airport.<BR><BR>Most of the car renters in Belize don't allow their vehicles to be taken into Guatemala. Crystal is one that does (and Thrifty may, too, can't recall for sure). You may, however, have difficulty in getting insurance for Guatemala.<BR><BR>Also, there have been some recent incidents in the Peten. Most recently, nine people (including two Belizean Mennonites) were killed and several others wounded, in circumstances that are still not clear. There also have been at least one murder and one rape at the Tikal park recently. You might want to check locally before making your decision to drive to Tikal.<BR><BR>--Lan Sluder