Does this place exist in Mexico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually go to the Caribbean or Bahamas and like the smaller properties, on the less touristy islands (for example, BVI, Anguilla, Abaco) and would like to go to a hotel on the beach in Mexico, but where? Don't want a huge high rise property; want a nice beach that offers beach chairs and shade; don't want to be hassled by vendors: need air conditioning in the room; and don't want to have to get up at the crack of dawn to "reserve" a beach chair. Anyone have any suggestions? (Not interested mega resorts with hundreds of rooms).
Old May 26th, 2005, 08:56 PM

check out the website www.differentworld.com for cool lowrise resorts. or try capitan lafitte near puerto morelos in the yucatan.
Old May 26th, 2005, 09:55 PM

The Hotel Na Balaam on Isla Mujeres.

Don't tell anyone. It's a secret.
Old May 27th, 2005, 04:40 AM

There are lots of places like this on the Mexican Caribbean. Check locogringo.com
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:23 AM

Playa del Carmen offers many places like what you describe.

Steve
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Maroma, Hotel Secreto, Ikal del Mar, Escencia -- any of those might be what you're looking for, but they're all expensive, too, so it depends on your budget...
Old May 27th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've been looking at the recommended websites and see some properties that look interesting.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Hey Orangetravelcat!

You have the same likes as we do, as we go to and enjoy the same destinations. We do not like touristy either and tend to go to smaller boutique hotels. We are also kinda bored of that part of the caribbean as we have been do many times, due to the limited number of non touristy islands.

We have not ben yet but we are going to Maroma, which is 30 minutes south of cancun. We are going this November, but the hotel fits the bill for us. We are in an ocean front room, which is just what we were looking for. Also the beach looks beautiful and there are only 58 rooms/suites. I just read Tom Cruise was just there with katie Holmes, nt that I care about that kind of thing, but if its good enough for them, its good enough for us.
Do a google search and type in maroma for the website...maybe it will click for you too
Old May 28th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Maroma looks great. Will definitely keep that in mind. Right now I am just starting to research for a trip next April. We just got back from Anguilla, which I loved, and would definitely go back there again, but living out west, it is a major hassle to get to the Caribbean so that's why I'd like to try Mexico. Please post a trip report when you get back from Maroma, and have a great trip.
Old May 28th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Thanks Orangtravelcat! I will definately post upon my return. we go to Anguilla often too, but we definately need something new to explore. Anguilla and Cap Juluca are becomng way way too popular. It is stil beautiful but you can kinda see what road they are on. Don't get me wrong Anguilla is paradise, we are just looking for an undiscovered by the Today show kinda place.