Does anyone here go to Michoacan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Michoacan, MX for this summer, late July. Considering Morelia, Patzcuaro, and some of the villages around the lake, Uruapan, etc. There are so few posts on here on Michoacan here, and the ones that are here are many years old.

Does anyone here even go there? It seems like a good place for summer, due to the cool climate, and I love the colonial towns and handicrafts of MX.

Anyone?
Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 05:53 PM

We were in Morelia a few years ago - loved it. Sorry I can't offer any up-to-date info, but it's a great destination.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM

I've been several times and thought it a wonderful region. I am surprised that the area is not covered here more often.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 03:26 PM

I would suggest a few days in Morelia then go to Patzcuaro and use that as a base to explore the villages around the lake. You could day trip tp Urapan but the best hotel is a bit out of town so just hop on the bus & return that evening. Patzcuaro is so charming, I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I would be glad to give hotel recs also restaurants if you give me your budget.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks smcgown! I would LOVE hotel recommendations. In Mexico on my last 3 trips in the last 16 months (to the DF, to the Puebla area, and to Monterrey), I have paid about $90-$100 USD per night for good solid rooms in good locations, but that was not in Michoacan. The rm. In Puebla had lots of colonial character for that rate.

I would love your recs for the hotel outside Urupan (I think that is what you are saying, I can't exactly tell) and Morelia, Patzcuaro, and any where else. And also restaurants! This is the kind of info that is sorely lacking on this forum for Michoacan. I am ready to book my flights and am dying to hear your recomendations.
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM

Glad to help! Morelia: DE LA SOLEDAD HOTEL. Be sure to ask for a room in the old part of the hotel in the front. I would suggest making a reservation there. Patio for breakfast is a treat. Also the Villa Montana is an experience not to be missed even if you just go there for a meal or a margurita on the terrace. It is pricey to stay there but could be your major treat of your trip.
In Urapan the Mansion Cupatitzio is so nice. Rooms look out on a lovely garden & pool. One night there should be enough. Dining room is very nice. In Patzcuaro I always stay at the Hotel Del Gallo on Dr. Coss just a block off the square. Breakfast is nice & the couple who own it are so nice. Clean & safe but absolutely no frills. I would not think a reservation is necessary becaust tourism is so off in Mexico. BTW, it can get COLD there in the summer if there is a big rain. Be sure to pack a fleece or other warm jacket. There is a nice restaurant just doors down toward the square, starts with an M. You cant miss it. Plaza cafe is nice. Sometimes food at the Hotel Fiesta Plaza on the small square is good, especially the corn & green chili enchiladas. Mansion Iturbe is wonderful, especially for dinner. Hotel is very nice too but I would rather spend my money on stuff than a hotel in Patz. Great for a capucino on their sidewalk in the daytime.Shopping in Patz is great. There is a great folf art shop on the main square on a corner on the side closest to the basilica. The surrounding villages are so fun, especially Santa Clara del Cobre for copper and Tzintzunsan. Best to hire a cab by the hour for those trips. There is a Friday street market, Plaza San Francisco, where you can find wonderful pottery, the green dishes, bowls etc so typical there. caution: You buy what you can carry, shipping is not very successful. Just take big empty suitcases & lots of bubblewrap & a few small cartons that will fit inside your suitcase. I have tons of stuff from Michoacan & never shipped anything. Im running out of time. Email me if you need any more info as this may not be of general interest to other Fodorites! As you can probably tell my interest in Michoacan is folk art and the artists. [email protected] I wish I was going too!
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 08:37 AM

in Urapan http://www.mansiondelcupatitzio.com/English/index.html
Old Jun 5th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

smcgown, BRAVO!!!

THANK YOU!!!!! This is what I needed. Perfect. I will email you as it gets closer.
Old Jun 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM

great! I look forward to hearing from you. Sue
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 03:06 PM

I spend a minimum of a week each year in Michocan. My favorite spots to stay are Uruapan Plaza in of course Uruapan. Huge rooms with great weekend rates. 32" cable, sitting areas & right on the unique plaza.
In Morelia http://www.baden-powell.com/index.php is hands above the best place to stay. Lovely apartments with Cable & free WiFi at incredibly low prices. Located in the heart of the Historico District about half way between The Cathedral & The Terminus of the Aqueduct. They also have a language school but You Need NOT be a student to rent an apartment

In Patzcuaro a good reasonable secure hotel of the "big" Plaza is The Posada San Rafael. About 400 pesos for two. Best rooms on the upper floors. Secure Parking.
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 05:41 PM

PS The Mansion Cupatitzio is a lovely property but IMO vastly over priced for small rather cramp rooms with way to much furniture. I stayed there & it overlooks the park. also is across from the La Trucha a great Day time restaurant that over looks one of the parks waterfalls but is closed at night. So it's rather Isolated after dark. The Uruapan Plaza rooms are much more spacious with sitting areas at less than half the price of Mansion Cupatitzio. On The Plaza you have lots of restaurant choices.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stewbear, I was hoping you'd show up here and I got lucky. I've looked into Posada San Rafael since your posting here, thank you, Also Uruapan plaza. Some posts recommend basing in Patzcuaro and not staying in Urupan overnight, but I am enticed by Urupan and it looks lovely, so may spend a night there.

The whole of Michoacan looks so wonderful. I am hoping to give my husband an interest in MX by taking him to this region w/me. It would be his 1st trip to MX, and he hasn't quite understood why I love MX so much after traveling there over the last 30 yrs. It is the towns like these that stir my heart, the friendly people who always help me w/my Spanish when it falls short, and who are such dedicated craftsmen and workers, and of course, the food, architecture, rhythym, and charm of the smaller and colonial towns.

As the trip gets closer I will post a draft itinerary and ask you all for feedback. Thanks so very much.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I also liked Plaza Uruapan. I will be following along, thinking of a trip sometime in the future.

http://www.hotelplazauruapan.com.mx/
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM

I think that some, like myself, visit Michoacan to witness the monarch butterfly migration. During my trip, I stated at http://www.ranchosancayetano.com/, which is near the butterfly reserves. I spent time in Morelia, but I prefer the colonial towns northwest of Mexico City.
Old Jun 13th, 2009, 10:04 AM

I went to Morelia several summers ago under the impression that the climate was similar to Guanajuato or any other colonial cities in Mexico but I was in shocked to get there and having temperatures of 37 degrees (Celsius). It was extremely hot!!! It was beautiful yet hot. So make sure that if you go to Morelia you take the appropriate clothing. Other than that, the trip went great. Make sure you visit the Parque Nacional in Uruapan.