Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

NBC celebrity reality show to be filmed at . . . Selva Verde?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2009, 09:12 PM
RAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Contestants include American Idol contestant Sanjaya and Speidi.

http://www.hotelchatter.com/story/20...he_Speidi_Moon

"The temporary home appears to be set on location in the Sarapiquí region and potentially at Selva Verde Rainforest Lodge. NBC is in negotiations with the hotel to house most of the cast and crew while the nearby Hotel Sueño Azul Resort may serve as the headquarters for production.

While the judge on Blagojevich's case overpowered the good/bad television gods by nixing any travel abroad, it is rumored that Mrs. Blagojevich may take to the jungle if she can stomach eating bugs and other unsavory challenges.

If she goes for the unsophisticated but legit dough, she'll be battling it out with contestants besides Speidi that might include: talk show host Geraldo Rivera, former supermodel Janice Dickinson, former “American Idol” contestant Sanjaya Malakar and Duane "Dog the Bounty Hunter" Chapman for the title of "King of Queen of the Jungle." How kind of NBC to give these people a chance at being a winner.

Personally, we'd much rather watch the howler and spider monkeys swing from the canopies. Hopefully the toxic cast doesn't destroy the eco system."
Old May 13th, 2009, 04:24 AM

These are not exactly A-list celebrities, are they?
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM

It should be called, "I'm desperate for media attention (get me out of here before I ruin Costa Rica)".

http://www.nbc.com/im-a-celebrity/

But, I might watch it in order to get a little 'hit' of Costa Rica this summer!
Old May 13th, 2009, 01:03 PM

How is this considered a punishment?
Old May 13th, 2009, 05:32 PM

Good point! Except for the company, it looks lovely to me.
Old May 13th, 2009, 07:31 PM

Pretty ironic with it being called "Get Me Out of Here" while all of us are seeking ways to get back there as frequently as we can!
Old May 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM

That's what I was thinking!
Old May 14th, 2009, 03:41 AM

I'd normally not watch it, but the location will sway me more than the inanity of the show. I hope they get their details a little better sorted....I saw an ad a couple weeks ago showing misty mountains and what looked like a marmoset, which is not native to CR.

lol @ colibri, true true!!
Old May 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM

Love all of your comments! I suppose it might be watchable with the 'mute' button on!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 03:57 PM

Reminder - this show is starting here on the East Coast in a few minutes. Normally wouldn't watch but am curious where they will be. All rumours I've seen say the Sarapiqui area.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 04:57 PM

OMG -- these people are AWFUL! Costa Rica is totally wasted on them -- it's sad. They should've taken a few lucky Fodorites instead. How can they be complaining?! It's so beautiful.

The shot of that runway looked like it was beside the beach, right? Could it be Tortuguero?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:00 PM

Yeah looked like the Tort airstrip from what I've seen pics of. They might've gone up the river from there, not sure. It's a reaaallly bad show.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM

That's what we decided--the Tortuguero airstrip. I haven't seen it, but I knew it wasn't Drake Bay, which was the only other alternative that I could think of. Too bad it isn't more about Costa Rica and less about the nuts involved. I do like LD Phillips, though. . . .good bod after all these years. Oooh. . .could YOU eat a tarantula? I don't think I could, honestly.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM

Could we vote them all out of the camp?

I don't recognize most of those names.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM

The one guy who kept saying he was so famous and I don't even know who he is. Guess I'm out of that loop, and glad.

Yeah, I think LD Phillips & John Sally (?) have come across the most decent.

Did you notice several times it appeared to be pouring and yet there was no rain? Must be a tarp over them. Wish they'd show more of the area and less of the drama.

Was I the only one that considered the 2nd place prize of gallo pinto maybe a better prize?
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:38 PM

Jeff, I like your idea. I was really hoping to see more of Costa Rica but I couldn't even watch until the end of the show...it was terrible.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 06:47 PM

I couldn't finish it either, petite. Who are some of those people? LD Phillips seems very level headed along with J. Sally, the rest are something else.

I watched it to see Costa Rica, but don't think I can turn it back on...
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM

We didn't finish either. It for sure didn't have anything to do with Costa Rica.
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 08:54 PM

I can't believe LD Phillips is even on this show!
Old Jun 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM

Do you think this show will be good for Costa Rican tourism? Do you think someone who has never been to Costa Rica will see it and say, "That looks like a beautiful country. I want to go"? Or do you think shows like this create the impression that, eeeeeewwwwwww, you have to eat insects if you travel to Costa Rica?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -