Search

Do you wear Keens?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you wear Keens?

Bought a pair of Keens to wear in Costa Rica and thought they were great for easy hiking and going through water. Just wondering, do people wear Keens in real life, or are they just for hiking, etc.? Do you guys wear them out and about?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:18 AM

Yes, they do (or at least some of us do)

Two years ago I bought my first pair of Keens (Newports, non H2O), just before I left for language school in Costa Rica (San Joaquin de Flores y Monteverde). I brought another pair of shoes with me - just in case - but never wore them. I walked to school in my Keens, hiked the cloudforest in Monteverde in them, etc. It was Keen's all the way.

I am now on my fourth pair of Keen's - not because they wear out quickly - it's just that now, they are almost about the only shoe I ever wear. They've been to the Galapagos, boat to wet landings to trails and back on the boat, Cusco and the Sacred Valley, Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Arches and Canyonlands NPs in Southern Utah, last year in Quito for language school and a myriad of other locations. I've gone for half day horseback rides in them.

They are also my everyday wear shoe, shopping, walking the dog, nature hikes and birdwatching, etc. etc. In winter I go truly stylish and add a pair of socks on the chilly days.

Soon after I returned from Costa Rica, I converted my husband over to Keen sandals and he is equally enamored with them. His wear out slower since he still has a job which requires business attire, but when he's home or on vacation, it's Keens.

I was actually so enamored with them I checked to see if they were publicly traded - I would have bought some stock. Alas they are privately held

So as you can tell I am a true Keen fanatic.

Pamela

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I, too, bought a pair to go to Costa Rica in March. For those considering the purchase, let me say that I wore them nearly every day I was there. They were especially great for light hiking, whitewater rafting, and going back and forth to class (in San Joaquin). My husband and I went to the Osa Peninsula (Bosque del Cabo) and found that we were both more comfortable in hiking boots on trails that were challenging (to us). Although it was the dry season, we had a big storm one night and the next day the trail was covered in leaf litter, and as a couple litter snakes slithered by, I was happy my feet were covered. The only other downside with my keens is that I often get pebbles/dirt trapped in shoe and I would have to stop and shake them out.

That said, I'm planning a trip to Honduras this fall and will likely bring the keens as my primary go-to-school, light hiking shoes.

At home, I wear them every weekend when I run errands, walk along the lake with my husband, or hang out at home. I live in Chicago, so these aren't year-round shoes for me (too much exposed foot in the chilly weather), but I love them as summer weekend shoes that offer more support and protection than most sandals.
enjoy them!

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:35 PM

i've just bought my first pair of keens. they are keen taos!!??
nearly a sandal, but not quite.
nobody i speak to in the uk has heard of them, however they are becoming easier to find.
we are playa grande bound in a weeks time and i've been breaking them in.
quite honestly though they are the first shoe i have worn from new that are immediately comfortable!!
cheers!!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 01:01 PM

I bought my 1st pair in early 2004 and immediately started wearing them for work and play. I still wear that same pair 3 or 4 days a week (I have others now, too). Though I did have to replace the elastics (with replacements Keen mailed me free of charge) and the soles are worn flat, they still look and feel great. I just toss them in the wash if they get really dirty (no drier) and they look shiny and new. Mine have been hiking and rafting in multiple countries - never had shoes I was so loyal to.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

We've been getting so much rain here every day that I've been wearing them to the store, to the movies, etc. I hated to put them away just because I'm not trekking through the Osa Peninsula. Glad to know I am not alone!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Prefer my Salomon Karmas, and often wear them for light hiking even when in dry weather because they are so light. But it all depends on the person.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Yeah, for all my love of Keens I'm taking a pair of Merrell Aquasports to Guatemala with me next week. I injured a foot last month and need something I can wear an orthotic with. They're awesome, too - very light and versatile. My husband swears by his and our son Isaac is a big Salomon Tech Amphibian fan. Happy trails!
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Wore my Keens all over Italy and in Amsterdam in June and plan to wear them in Argentina next summer. Wear them all the time here in Arizona.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 05:13 PM

I too love my Salomon Tech Amphibians. You don't have the problem with all the small pebbles because the "mesh" is a very tight weave. I like them because they look like regular running shoes.Very comfortable for hiking.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 07:58 PM

Wore them all day today in Arenal. Sky Tram/sky Trek guys said they were the perfect shoes for ziplining. Wear them on the lake all the time at home.
Old Jul 27th, 2007, 08:49 PM

Hi VG,

I bought a pair of Keens (Venice) for my upcoming CR trip in December. I wear them quite a bit on the weekends here at home. They are quite comfy.

The only drawback I've encountered so far is that my feet sometimes perspire a bit in them. I've read about other people having this issue as well. This won't keep me from wearing the shoes, and I figure this will basically be par for the course in CR, where I'm sure the rest of me will experience a little perspiration as well after a few hikes on those BdC trails. ;-)
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 02:16 AM

cmerrell - You might have to give the Merrell's a try if your Keens ever wear out - the name is very cool.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Excellent idea, hopefulist!

Who better to endorse their footwear than one who bears their actual name, lol! ;-)
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 07:52 AM

I wore my Keens in the ocean, hiking, etc in CR. I also wear them when we go camping and for doing yard work.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM

Haven't tried the Keens yet because I love my Salomon Tech amphibians so much. I have even hiked up into the Sierra mountains with them. I choose these because I like the idea of the mesh keeping little rocks and pebbles out.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I love mine! I have to admit though, I don't wear them much at home unless I'm hiking or "being sporty". I took both Keen Venice and Salomon Tech's last trip and only wore the Keen's (although if I had the pepple problems on the paths probably would have used the latter). They're sooo comfy, and cool, and practical.
Old Jul 28th, 2007, 04:26 PM

Bought them for CR. Wear them for strenuous summer hiking in the Santa Monica mountains.