Sandals, gym shoes, or hiking boots?

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 06:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandals, gym shoes, or hiking boots?

I just purchased a pair of Keen Newports. They were pricey, but I'd been advised they would be great for white water rafting. I've also been advised that it can be rocky at Tabacon Hot Springs and thought I would wear them there too. How about for hiking? We'll be going through the park at Manuel Antonio. Can I wear sandals, or do I have to worry about ants? Can I just spray my feet and wear the sandals, or would I be better off with gym shoes or hiking shoes? Same question for Sky walk or Hanging Bridges. I don't want to have to pack too many shoes.
Thanks!
Laurie
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:48 AM

Only on a forum

Only in America

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 07:58 AM

Grin and bear it!

blackmons, Manuel Antonio boasts lovely wide, flat walking trails. I wear flip-flops. Your Keens will be great for everything you have described. I'm thinking I need to do a little research and buy some of my own--Keen Newports the Salamon??? someone mentioned the other day? I'm not much into "speciality shoes" for Costa Rica--or specialty clothing for that matter. Just pack what I have and take off. It's always worked just fine. But the shoes you are describing sound like a good pair to have! Enjoy!

That all right with you, Poppa?
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 08:13 AM

I would not wear sandals while walking on any forest trail....but at MA and even Carara I've seen plenty of folks wearing them without problems.

Generally I wear light hiking or 'walking shoes' that give a bit of ankle support and protection against biting insects. These have served me well even on moderately steep and rocky trails at Rincon de la Vieja and similar places.

Jerry
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM

Actually this isn't that bad.

The Slow Travelers Italy site discusses shoes at great length and nary a trace of irony.

When they got in to Borsalino Hats, I had to call it a day!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:36 AM

I used to walk barefoot all the time. Hated shoes. Then we moved to Texas for 5 years. Ever since, if there is even a chance of biting ants (fire ants in Texas), or scorpions, I stick to shoes. There was a woman stung by a scorpion at Bosque del Cabo about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have seen scorpions in a lot of places in CR. Some of them are pretty big.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:53 AM

I saw a scorpion once in my house and Yucatan

I burned the sucker to the ground.

Hey, I get a little wet but I never been bit!

Seriously ....

How in the world can anyone adjust an important part of their attire (or life) because of a couple of odd experiences? Yes, if you are anyphactic (sp?), but otherwise - watch where you're going!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:05 PM

I just got back from all the places you mentioned. I wore my Keens rafting, at Tabacon and through Manuel Antonio because we were going to the beach after our hike. They were great for all of these places. I might have worn them to the hanging bridges, too, but instead I worn my hiking boots because it had been raining and I didn't want to have muddy/squishy feet. One thing I did at Manuel Antonio was wear socks with them because the trail is sandy with little rocks/stones/twigs, etc. I think it worked out well because it is uncomfortable when they get caught under your feet. The next day, we went back to the 3rd beach and I went without the socks and I was wishing I had them. They really did help. It's a short walk, though, so it wasn't too bad. I took hiking boots, gym shoes, my Keens and slip-on Tevas. I only wore my gym shoes once or twice for dinner. The slip-ons were good for the room and down to the pool because they are easier to get on than the Keens, but probably not necessary. The hiking boots were good for all hikes. I think I would still take gym shoes next time in case my hiking boots get soaked. We wear the hiking boots on the plane because they are the hardest to pack. I hope you enjoy your Keens as much as I love mine. I lived in them last summer after buying them in the Outer Banks!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 12:47 PM

Hey Poppa,
We are bird watchers. Suffice it to say that my eyes are not always on the ground and if I happen to kick over a rock with a scorpion taking a snooze under it I want to be protected. My husband and I take turns watching for snakes- which we did see several of this year. Also, you can't always tell how much slick algae is on those rocks underwater and toes can be scrapped pretty bad. Why take a chance? We hike several miles a day while down there and sometimes even more than that up here at home when the weather is good, I don't really want to have to be watching every single footfall. They certainly aren't those $200 hiking boots that some people wear. I would be spending just as much on a good pair of walking shoes.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM

But fo course. Could not agree more.

Get some $@!!*$#! shoes that suit your needs but, for the love of heaven, what's up with all this almost obsessive Posting about something so simple?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 07:26 AM

No need to swear. People do think a lot about the shoes they will need because of weight restrictions on in country flights and the types of environments they will run into. Room in luggage is also a concern to some people who prefer not to haul half their belongings along with them.

This board is for information for lots of different types of travelers but is becoming more like a school yard brawl. Some of these topics are important to the people discussing them. If you aren't interested in the subject..don't read it.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:17 AM

I just hope and pray that my countrymen (as many as humanly possible) manage to enjoy and appreciate Latin America for its cultures, people, and history.

If they can do that and have comfy feet, then that's wonderful.

Peace.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 02:32 PM

I did MA park twice, a horseback ride, a zip line & just general walking around - I took a pair of Nike sandals (similiar type to Teva), Puma tennis shoes & 2 prs of cheap flip flops and found the Nike sandals to be what worked best for me. They had the best grip, could get them wet & they comfy. I might've sprayed my feet with bug spray, can't really remember, but didn't have a big problem with bugs in MA.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 03:25 PM

Taking my sister and brother-in-law for their first trip to Costa Rica and the first thing I told them was what type of shoes to take.

The subject someone asks about is just as important to them as your's may be to you.

If you don't like the subject, don't reply.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:03 AM

Thank you Jessie and Patga for trying to keep this site one for ALL; not just travel snobs with a chip on their shoulder. I appreciate any information I can get from travelers. A thank you for your patience from those of us who haven't been lucky enough to travel a lot and ask "simple" questions! I am packing for a family of 4 and very much like to keep our luggage down to the basics. So thanks for the shoe information!
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:32 AM

I wore my Teva's everywhere , beach , trails , jungle , all went well ..... p.s. It's a fine question ....
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM

>>
not just travel snobs with a chip on their shoulder.>>

Yes, this is one element in an open forum. Sometimes I ask questions, sometimes answer them. Sometimes text comes across different that the author's intention. Sometimes wisdom is snobbish. You need a thick skin in many open forums.

But really, Just take in the info that's helpful, and let all the rest wax off.

Not for this thread, but I admit to searching forums for the real dirt on places and topics, get the negative scoop to balance out the all-good pitch we see on slick web sites.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 10:46 AM

Leave your slick soled shoes at home. You tend to need something with good gripping power all over CR.

This is my pick!

Water proof/Hiking sandal - I tend to live in, beach or jungle
AND
Flip Flops - come in handy if staying in a beach area, go with everything and also double as bedroom slipper

AND something with a closed toe - such as

Hiking boot - especially if you tend to have weak ankles
OR
High traction athletic shoe

As for scorpions! Well we sometimes have those at our cabin in the woods. Been stung once and that was enough. It is second nature to wear some type of shoe all the time and to always dump the shoes to see if any of those little creatures crawled in.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 11:07 AM

About scorpions ..... The only one we ever saw was in our shower at Villas del Parque .... this after a night of triple rum/cokes as my hubbie became new bestfriends with the bartender at Barba Roja . I was sober , he was seeing probably 5-6 scorpions !! No tevas , keens , hikers , just a white towel which soon became the most convenient way to dispose of our stinging friend !!!
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 10:47 PM

I think a question about what shoes to wear is perfectly OK, esp in a country where you're limited to 25 lbs per person on flights. I hiked in Tevas all over Costa Rica, because of the heat, but after getting stung between my toes by ants (in spite of having sprayed my feet with strong insect repellent) and seeing lots of snakes on a night hike we took at Bosque del Cabo, I think hiking boots or anything that covers your foot all over is the better way to go. You might tell yourself you're going to check where you're walking, but when a monkey or scarlet macaw appears over your head, you're going to look up, not at your feet. Also, having some ankle support is great on muddy, uneven trails.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -