Notices

Disappointed with PV

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Jenny

Disappointed with PV

My husband and I went to PV a few months ago and we were very disappointed. We were constantly harassed by vendors in the area and even in our own hotel. We stayed at the Westin, where they encouraged their staff to sell you their timeshare property. They also had a sewage problem when we were there and for about 3 days our room had a very unpleasant smell. The beach was practically nonexistant in front our our hotel and the water was very ugly and dirty.

Before we booked the trip to Puerto Vallarta, I talked to a few people who just loved the place and have gone back several times. All I can think of is that we stayed on the wrong side of the beach and/or the wrong hotel!??

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 02:59 PM
Tess

Jenny, sorry to hear you didn't have a good time there. Did they fix the sewage problem? I've read from another travel board that timeshare sharks are rampant in that hotel. If you could do it all over again, which hotel there will you choose?

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Jenny

We stayed at the Westin for 9 days and they did fix the sewage problem after a few days-thank god! I'm not sure where I would stay next time, but I'm definitely not relying on travel books. Next time I'm going to ask around and visit a few travel boards before I make a decision.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 04:10 PM
bobbi

Jenny
I am sorry that you had such a rough time. We do love PV, but always stay in small non AI hotels. I have stayed in the hotel zone and did enjoy that. Beach is really nice, and I didn't get the timeshare garbage. Hope you have a better time in the future.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:18 PM
Anony

Okay you made the mistake of staying out in the Marina which is know for timeshare everywhere. Also along the Malecon in town where the stores are same thing their popping out of all the doorways.

For the money you spent you could have booked the Camino Real the water and the scenery south of town is much more beautiful plus it is 5 minute taxi ride to town and a mini bus goes by it every 20 minutes. There aren't any timeshare in the Camino Real so much better choice.
You probably could have rented a small suite or in the old town for what you paid to stay at the Marina.

Old Jun 18th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Anony

If you want to enjoy walking around P.V
it is simple walk on the ocean side of the Malecon avoid walking in front of the stores also you can go 1-3 blocks up off the Malecon the roads have less traffic and no timeshare.

Old Jun 19th, 2002, 06:25 AM
bj

Sorry you were disappointed. Vacations are too short and valuable to be "ruined" when our expectations are not met. Unfortunately, you did pick the worst place to stay. The marina area has never been known for beaches or any of the character that makes PV so special. There have been many questions on this board, marina vs old town, and most frequent visitors try and steer others away from the marina but some still decide to stay there. Some people apparently actually like it there but to each his own. I, for one, am not surprised you were less than thrilled with the marina. I think you would have been much more impressed somewhere more typically PV. I love it and can't wait to get back but I wouldn't go to the marina for any reason.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 02:31 AM
joyce

bj--unfortunately we will be in the marina area for several days while in PV. However, we need to choose accomodations for 3 more days. Where do you suggest?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 06:31 AM
JRinPV

In town, the Molino de Agua or Playa Los Arcos.

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 11:50 AM
Cricket

We almost booked our August vacation w/the Marriott, and (atleast now anyway) I'm glad we went ahead and chose the Camino Real instead. I was worried about the beach and water clarity too...only after reading these comments on fodors though. The travel books just can't give you the real-life experience perspective. I'm hoping the beach @ CR is still great...no muddy water!! Has anyone stayed at CR recently?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:40 PM
poor information / choices

Jenny, Sorry you did not enjoy your vacation but PLEASE do not blame all of Puerto Vallarta for your bad experience in a chain resort hotel located out in The Marina.

Old Town and El Centro neighborhoods of PV are lovely, authentic, quaint, cobblestone streets, whitewashed brick, black wrought iron, bouganvillas growing... maybe "too Mexican" for some people's travel taste. But each and every one of your complaints could have been avoided staying in a nice B&B or small to medium Mexican owned hotel in the south part of town.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:51 PM
JRinPV

Don't know how you'll avoid 'muddy water' in August, it is the rainy season you know?
But the Camino Real is not near any big river mouth, so the water should be fine.

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:17 PM
anon this time

I am curious what Jenny/OP did besides stay at The Westin. Did you ever go into downtown? Go shopping? Take a bus ride out to Punta Mita? Or a taxi to Chino's Paradise for lunch? How about strolling the Malecon on a Saturday evening? Eat corn on the cob from a street vendor? Shop at a real supermercado? Have drinks and watch the sunset from the roof of Cuatro Vientos hotel bar? Go to a palapa restaurant for lunch on Playa Los Muertos?

The problems/atmosphere in The Marina have been discussed ad nauseum on this board, yet for some unfathonable reason people insist on staying at these hotels. Everyone knows there is no beach out at that part of town, nor does the Bay have crystal clear waters.

I do not mean to sound nasty, but it is frustrating, as a BIG FAN and regular visitor of PV, and a frequent poster on several different travel boards, this kind of post makes me a bit crazy.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:07 PM
Cricket's question

The clarity of the ocean/water in the Bay of Banderas depends on weather conditions and river runoff, not the specific beach you are on.