Search

been to Belize?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:11 AM
geoff

been to Belize?

who has spent some time on the islands off the coast of Belize, is the snorkeling as good as they say?, how developed is it?, good spot for a honeymoon?, what else is there to do???

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
kate

My husband and I (mid-thirties) have been to Belize 6 times - it's our favorite vacation destination. We are avid snorkelers but not divers - the snorkeling is outstanding. It's a great place to honeymoon. As for development, I'd liken San Pedro on Ambergris Caye (the largest tourist destination) to Cruz Bay on St. John USVI 25-30 years ago (I went 3 times when I was a kid). The rest of the country is even less developed. There are rustic places to stay and also places with all the resort amenities, just no crowds (well, relative to say, Puerto Rico, Cancun, or Nassau). If you are looking for shopping or nightlife, then Belize is not for you. But if you are looking to relax, enjoy the water, and hang out at a beach bar with a few other people then you will enjoy it. On the mainland (where you can stay or take day trips) you can go hiking in the jungle or visit several Mayan ruins, which are quite fascinating if you have a good guide to tell you about the culture. I highly recommend Belize.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:08 AM
Patty

The snorkeling/diving in Belize is fantastic, and the farther south you go, the more pristine the reef is. There's almost no large scale development to speak of. If you're into nature/outdoor activities or just relaxing, you will love Belize. But like kate mentioned if you need shopping/nightlife, you will be happier somewhere else. Hope this helps.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:28 AM
x

just wanted to make sure you knew that if you want the good snorkeling off of ambergris caye, caye caulker or placentia, you need to take a boat out to the reef.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
katie valk

The reef is a 10-15 min. boat trip to snorkel spots off San Pedro and Caye Caulker. 45 mins from Placencia and there are islands and atolls right on the reef where you can do walk in snorkeling as well.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:42 AM
carrie

Stayed at Lighthouse Reef Resort about 7 years ago. Took a 45 minute ride on a puddle jumper from Belize City to get to this private island. <BR><BR>GREAT diving!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
soledad

if you're on a honeymoon, definitely stay at the capricorn on ambergris caye. quiet, secluded, charming hosts.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Paulette

Just returned from Belize. Forget Caulker and Ambergris. Take a boat from Dangriga to Tobacco Caye - 5 acre island with rooms and cabanas that rent very reasonably. We paid $55 US per night for 2 including all 3 meals. The local people are very friendly and you can snorkle from the beach. No crowds and, yes, the reef is fantastic.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:48 PM
TC

If you want GREAT beach snorkeling, forget Belize and go to Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras. The beach snorkeling is amazing, the food was good, the beach is pristine and its very laid back and romantic. We've been both places and are going back to Roatan.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:02 AM
x

the problem with roatan is when the cruise ships come in...all those hordes of people.

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 02:20 PM
TC

Dear XXX: We rented a house right on Tabanya Beach where the cruise passengers picnic. The cruise ships did't "come in", one ship brought a tender full of people to the beach one day during the week. I would guess there were 50+ people and its a big beach so we didn't really find it an inconvenience. On another day the WindStar called, but I don't believe more than 10-12 people came ashore. One could always do a non-beach activity on that day, but we didn't find it necessary. "Hordes" of people is what you get in Cozumel when 9 or 10 cruise ships start unloading EVERY day.