Presidente in Puerto Vallarta

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to PV in January and are considering staying at the Presidente. Last year we stayed at the Westin and enjoyed it, but certainly didn't feel like we were getting a very "Mexican" experience. Would we be better off at the Presidente? Last year we took taxis into town each evening to go to dinner and thought that it might be easier to travel from the Presidente into town. I would appreciate any advice- thanks.
Old Oct 31st, 2004, 06:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Presidente is way south of town. I've not stayed out that far but looking at the map it seems you'll be even a greater distance from downtown than you were at the Westin, plus there's not much out that far besides a few other hotels on the beach. Certainly it is easy enough to catch a taxi or bus every evening, like you've done. Would you consider staying in town? Molino de Agua, The Krystal, Buenaventura come to mind.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 04:08 AM

I assume your are referring to the Intercontinental El Presidente. I would say absolutely NOT. We spent two weeks in PV........all but the last two night in Nuevo Vallarta. Thought we would enjoy the Intercontinental, but it was old, run down, dirty, terrible food. It is an all inclusive, and is one of the worst hotels we have ever stayed in.

It also caters to same sex couples. That does not bother me, but if it bothers you, it is another reason not to stay there.

I actually wrote a letter to the company after we returned. Also, it is not in a very convenient location.

One to avoid.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 09:28 AM

Hi Bruce, I stayed at the Presidente Intercontinental in Puerto Vallarta last week and I visit PV every six months. I used to stay at the Camino Real (also south of town) but they changed to all inclusive and I am not interested in that. The Presidente is a 15 minute USD5.00 taxi ride from town. The bus, which takes about 20 minutes stops right in front of the Presidente and is about 45 cents. The hotel is newly renovated, spotlessly clean and very well run. The staff is exceptionally friendly and helpful. The food at the restaurants was very good. The beach is small but clean and the bay water is much cleaner in that area. An added bonus is that the hotel only has about one hundred rooms so it is much smaller than hotels like the Westin. However, you will not get a very "Mexican" experience as the hotel is a large, international hotel with a staff to match. Overall, I'd give the hotel a 4 out of 5 and would go back without hesitation. I was a devotee of the Camino Real but I have to admit the Presidente is a much better hotel. One thing you should check out though is that they may be reverting back to all inclusive. They used to be ai, are not now, but there is some confusion as to whether or not they will be ai as of December. Also, offically they don't currently allow children under 16 but it is not enforced. I just tell you that in case it's a problem for you. I'm fine with it and the kids were as low key as the adults that stayed there. You can get lots of current reviews at www.tripadvisor.com. Good luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:16 AM

manycruiser & JohnK - how recent were each of your stays there? I'm not questioning your opinions simply...

It is curious to get two such VERY different reviews on the same property.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 01:12 PM

If you are planning to stay at the hotel most of your vacation then I would say ok but if you want to get around to town then it is really far from town to g o back and forth. I have never stayed there for that reason. Why don't you try something close to town. There is the Fiesta Americana, The Sheraton and the Premier although that is Adults only. Check it all out on trip advisor like John Said. Good Luck
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:55 AM

suze

We were there in March 2002......if it has had a facelift.......good because it really needed one. When the bellman at the front met us with a filthy white jacket, I knew we were in trouble.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:50 AM

manycruiser, Thanks for the timeline. Honestly I had always heard reports much more like yours than ones of praise for the hotel, that's why I was especially curious.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 08:57 AM

Suze..........it was March 2003. Time does fly.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM

I was at the Presidente a little over a week ago. The hotel has been renovated so comments from stays a year and a half ago no longer apply.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 10:46 AM

Thanks John. The place is too far south for my taste, regardless, but since I have many many friends who visit PV regularly, I like to keep current.