departure tax $58 from Mexico

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:23 AM
joanne

departure tax $58 from Mexico

Just received notice from Grand Circle Travel that there is a new $58 departure tax for Mexico for our April tour which we booked last Sept. Anyone know anything about this? When did it go into effect? Tried the Mex. consulate web site but no info. there. We have already paid $175 in airline, security and other fees and $58 sounds like alot for Mexico.
Any feedback appreciated. Thanks. J

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:50 AM
Jean

Just left Mexico on Monday, didn't pay any departure tax that I know of. If we did, it was part of the airline ticket, we weren't part of any type of 'package' tour.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 06:02 AM
Jean Valjean

That is news to me, and I go in and out of Mexico all the time, so I should have heard about it. Sounds like a lot of money and a nice way to discourage tourism... I think that you agency may be a bit confused...

There is an airport use tax of 12.50 US, that should have been included in your ticket...

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:59 AM
hmmmm?

For quite a few years now any taxes or fees have been included in the price of my air ticket (as recently as Dec. 2002 & I always fly independent, not with a tour or package).

Maybe try pricing a similar ticket on a website (expedia or something) and see what they show, might give you an idea.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 10:33 AM
Kenster

I read just this past weekend that Mexico is going to stop collecting the departure fee (tax) totally. Last two summers I think it was $20.00.

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 03:03 PM
joanne

Kenster
Can you please tell me where you read that they are going to stop collecting the departure tax? I would like to refer to it when I talk to the tour company when I get the revised invoice that includes the tax.
Thank you in advance.
Anyone else have more info. who has been there very recently? Or whose tour company has notified them of the tax?
Thanks all. J

Old Jan 25th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Robert

It sounds like Grand Circle has found a way to make an extra $58.00! I go to Mexico 5 or 6 times per year and have never heard of such!

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 04:26 AM
Chris

I have seen people on other message boards talking about this. (www.mytravelboard.com - clock on PLaya Del Carmen). ALot of them seem to think it is a sort of "extortion" fee in that the officials asking for it seem to put it right in their pocket!! Quite a few advise to be prepared with the cash tho - just in case.