Notices

Crocodiles--Playa del Carmen

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Robert

Crocodiles--Playa del Carmen

Thought it might be of interest to share a new beach problem in Playa--crocodiles! Last Saturday, June 1, 2 large crocodiles (approx. 6 feet)were captured in the surf in the heart of the hotel area in Playa. (in case you want to check it , it was well documented in the paper Por Eso with photos). Also had a friend report seeing a large one on the beach at Puerto Morelos.
Apparently, this has been caused by all the development destroying the natural habitat of the crocidiles.

Robert

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:53 AM
AAAA

What is the usual time frame that Crocs are in that area anyway?

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Ana

Sorry, crocs in the sea???

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 09:41 PM
Susan

There are crocs in Yal-Ku lagoon also but believe me, if you try posting too much information about this problem, you might find yourself "under fire" by the "tourist police" who don't like any "bad" news to be posted. I guess they all own condos/houses they want to rent and don't like the bad publicity!! Anyway, I appreciate knowing that paradise has dangers and to be aware is the best defence. Thanks a bunch!!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:37 AM
Robert

I, too, was surprised at crocs in the sea, but they were there.
Also agree with Susans post regarding the "tourist police"--they will do their best to keep in out of the press but the newspaper "Por Eso" seems to be pretty much anti-establishment. Also are crocs in Cozumel and the locals will usually own up to it if you press them enough.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 10:16 AM
a Travel Professional

Interesting. I was there during that period and heard nothing about it. I did see a small Croc near the entrance to Maroma Beach (in the Mangrove).

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Lenleigh

I was there too, didn't hear anything about it but I did read that there are some crocs that can swim in salt water down there. Only time I saw them was at the lake near coba. The water we were in was so clear with only sand and fairly wavy so I would think it would have been somewhat easy to see them.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Robert

The water there is clear and it is very easy to see them--that is why they were spotted and the beaches evacuated for a time in that area. They were there--as I said, they are well documented in the newspaper Por Eso, including photos.

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Dave

Susan:

Is there any Playa board that you haven't infiltrated, spreading your brand of terrorism. Folks, Susan seems to think that tourists (except herself) are a blight and should be banned from setting foot outside their homes so she seeds these threads hoping that spreading this crap will save the crocs "habitat", which is the sea?????? Go away, Susan!!

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Steph

Ok what is the deal people? Crocs or not?

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 02:45 PM
asdf

Well, apparently there are crocs around the area but if we discuss it too much the Tourist Police will come to our homes and beat us with wet noodles. Gosh, Susan, what the heck do you think any Mexican police can do to someone in another country (and posting anonymously at that), much less do about anything at all posted here. Sounds like the Mexican Keystone Cops. Maybe they are all queer. In fact, didn't you say they were in another thread. (That should get them all riled up...)

Maybe I will post really bad information about the area for the tourist police to consider: maybe that you are really a closet crocopheliast or that you have been saying really, really bad things about Yal-Ku and you alone are responsible for no tourists ever, ever visiting again. Come and get me, TP !

Old Jun 14th, 2002, 07:17 PM
anon

What a croc...

Old Jun 16th, 2002, 07:04 AM
Susan

Dear Dave, Anon, ASDF:

I have a new tourist destination for you...Pakistan/Iran/Afghanistan....All that stuff you read in the newspapers is a croc of s..t. There's just some really bad person out there trying to ruin your perfectly good holiday to Pakistan/Iran/Afghanistan! Honestly, I didn't post this original message...this one was posted by Robert. I have noticed, however, that anytime a "bad" piece of news is posted in any Playa board, people like you immediately call the person posting names such as you've called me. That's why I posted the warning about the "tourist police" and IN CASE YOU DON
'T GET IT...THAT'S YOU!!!!!!! Apparently, you don't bother to read newspapers, etc., to verify all your claims as others do. You're too lazy! All you want to do is make the poster look like they're trying to stir up trouble which ISN'T THE CASE!! These boards are to inform people and whenever news happens, good or bad, it should be posted....TO DO OTHERWISE WOULD BE LIKE LIVING IN COMMUNISM. What you don't know won't hurt you so we'll just keep you stupid!!! Is that what you want? I'm tired of dealing with your type of As....E postings! If you ever want to be credible, you should first do some research, do not attack other posters, post a neat and polite reply based on facts, and maybe then people will respect what you have to say!! Stop attacking posters and do some really good research so you don't look so stupid next time!

Old Jun 17th, 2002, 07:45 AM
Robert

A good post, Susan. I did indeed post the first on this subject. I have been going to Playa for many years, long before it was popular with the tourists and it is certainly not my aim to hurt Playa tourism. What I posted was just a fact--and a matter of public record for anyone who takes the time to read.
I notice the ones who post the really negative posts on here, never show their e-mail addresses!
Thanks for the good post, Susan.