Search

Crime in BAires/Mendoza

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crime in BAires/Mendoza

We have a trip reserved to Buenos Aires and Mendoza later this month and I have been reading a lot about street crime in both places. Should I be very worried about this?
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 11:14 AM

No, assuming normal precautions, like in any large town.

Have a great (and safe) time in our country.
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:07 PM

i live in Victoria BC, a small peaceable city where i leave my door unlocked when i walk the dog. i felt as safe in Bs As as i feel here. itwas very relaxing in the same way travelling in crime free Japan is.

we just took normal precautions as we would in any new locale and kept our cash and cc's in zipped pants or shorts pockets

enjoy ur stress free argentine vacation

cheers
AndrewDavid
Old Mar 18th, 2008, 04:23 PM

Hi
I live in Mendoza and agree with the responses given above.
As they said, just take the typical precautions (keep your money safe, don't walk alone in suburbs, etc, etc.)
Don't hesitate in contacting me for anything you may need, ok?
My email is [email protected]
Enjoy your trip!
Maria
Old Mar 23rd, 2008, 03:55 PM

The other day we were in a restaurant having a late lunch in Buenos Aires,( a little old lady was the only other patron) just off famous Av.Santa Fe and all of a sudden someone entered and said, "This is a robbery."
I thought at first it was a joke. No joke. The workers and the little old lady, whose purse was taken, were forced into the kitchen, we were told to go up to the balcony; the robber emptied the cash register and left. Fortunately he didn't take my wallet.

That's why many restaurants lock the door. I read this kind of crime started a decade ago.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:47 AM

Oh Jimmy, how frightening! I remember way back, years ago, something like that happened to us in Long Island (NY)..
I just read something about Spain too, sad, it really can scare tourists away to hear about these things.

Street crime is typical in BA as any big city, I think.
Purse snatching and pocket picking.

Any traveler going Anywhere should be concerned/prepared but not worried.
I live in Buenos Aires and find that walking around, people are basically like those in any other big town, busy and on their way to somewhere...you can get yourself caught up in a crowd waiting on a corner for a light to change, be sure your wallet/cash is not sitting in your pocket, easily removable.
I almost always carry a handbag that zips/locks closed and is on a strap across my chest .. although sometimes I carry my money in my pocket and the dog carries my keys. Hmmm could that be why people don't bother me? lol

I think Florida Street and that whole overcrowded, busy, hectic, area with hordes of tourists and people might be the worst area for getting a pocket picked..I avoid that area..but all tourists like to go there..

Old Mar 25th, 2008, 01:42 PM

I do not think it is as safe as to leave your door unlocked. But with normal precautions you should be ok. It is like many modern cities. Unfortunatelly times change.
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 08:58 PM

I would agree that it is like other big cities. But be careful when taking pictures, as sometimes criminals will try to grab your camera out of your hand.