Search

Safety in Argentina and Major Cities

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2011, 04:11 AM
RSS
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety in Argentina and Major Cities

We just arrived home after a month in Chile and Argentina. The travel agents are not talking about it but there are major safety issues. We were attempted to be held up in the middle of Mendoza with 2 guys on a motorcycle and a GUN! In Buenos Aires you need to wear no jewelry, carry no bags, and watch for pick pockets. You can't walk down the street without looking both in front and behind you for two people coming at you or motorcycles driving down the street next to where you are walking. Do NOT take any cab that does not say Radio Cab. Who wants to travel in places where you spend your time be concerned.
We LOVED Atacama and Patagonia, they were top notch!! But the wine area of Mendoza is very disappointing.
Old Dec 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM

sorry for that, I am planning to visit Aregentina in january. do you know any good place there? Non fancy

Thanks
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:39 AM

Yours truly and other members of this forum have abundantly posted on this subject.

You simply have to be alert and wear no expensive jewelry or watches, which could make you a target. Leave these things at home and you'll be just fine.

As I have said over and over and then over and over again, most of our cabbies are decent guys, but there are a few bad apples in any barrel. What makes radio cabs comparatively safer is CALLING for one (versus hailing one) as your request is recorded and the cabbie can be identified if you have a problem. Otherwise, a radio cab is no better than any other cab.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 02:55 AM

Go down there a lot was there Dec

travel.state.gov has best tips to avoid crime scams

Theft does occur rarely certainly not the rule

insuremytrip.com wise overall safe if careful

Venezuela Guatemal and Mexico far riskier currently

Never share cabs always use labeled cabs watch out

for tourist scammers money belt buddy system am always fine.

Did 5 K down there last year felt safe everywhere except

on time on the PanAmericana in South Colombia when we

got stopped by the FARC but the soldieers ran them off.

Good police work things even getting safer there...

But petty theft everywhere travel frugal odds are great

all will be fine.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 03:45 AM
RSS
Original Poster

Just to remake the point! We had no fancy jewelry, we are experienced travelers, and we were walking down a lovely street 3 blocks from the Park Hyatt in Mendoza. People were working on the roof of a house and watched this guy shove a gun at my husband and did nothing. Nice people? Even after it was over and they got nothing, NO ONE asked us if we were okay!!!

So stop selling everyone, both Mendoza and BA are dangerous and people just follow you even if you are carrying nothing. In New York City, you can walk into every store except maybe the very high end jewelry stores,( not Tiffany's). In BA, you have to be buzzed into every store. Hmmmm. Wonder why you can't just walk in.

I would not walk the streets in either place! Use a guide or a radio taxi and forget shopping!
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 04:42 AM

I have walked the streets of BA since I was born (I'm almost 71) and never had a problem, for what that may be worth.

Furthermore, I cannot recollect ever being buzzed into a store, except very high end places, such as the jewelry store across the street from the Alvear Palace Hotel.

I repeat: radio taxis are no better or worse than other cabs, unless you CALL for them, as I explained above.

Have a great time in our country.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 05:28 AM
RSS
Original Poster

Didn't buy jewelry, bought leather good, sweaters and stayed in a lovely area. Galleries same way. So don't tell me I am wrong. I was just there and experienced it!! We took a private cooking class at someone's home and they were beside themselves that we wanted to walk back to our hotel on a huge main street. They told us they moved out of BA because they couldn't even take their children to the park. They were too frightened!! Be CAREFUL all who travel there.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 06:55 AM

RSS: So sorry your visit was negatively colored by this bad experience (and those cautionary tales).

My DH and I visit BsAs and other areas of Argentina each year - we have perhaps been lucky, perhaps cautious (we live in WDC and spend time in NYC and Paris and Rome)but we have never had any theft or fear when walking around or taking Taxis in BsAs. And we are neither young nor strong looking

We do follow the good advice given on this and other Fora - but we are not at all fearful - just reasonably conscious of being at tourist sites or the Subte i.e. those places notorious around the world for making the tourist a target.

Your experience sounds frightening - and your writing about it may provide some extra caution to other tourists to Argentina, so it is appreciated.

DH and I are looking forward to our return to BsAs next month. I hope you have a peaceful holiday season.
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 01:11 PM

Hail to Chief DE Marnie!
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:30 PM

I just returned from a trip to BA with my husband and our 14 month old son. At no time did we ever feel unsafe. Granted, we stuck to the nicer areas of town, and there were a few places we had to be buzzed into, but this was no biggie. We took plenty of cabs and not only were the drivers courteous and friendly, but not a single cabbie took us on a longer-than-necessary route that I was aware of.

We simply used our streetsmarts and the situational awareness that we use in any big city when we travel. We left our nice jewelry, watches, and high end DSLR camera at home, and we had a great time. We even took our son out for ice cream at 1:00 am. We carried little cash and only 1 credit card (no debit card, so not much fear of express kidnapping) with us at any given time, that we felt if we were pickpocketed or mugged, we wouldn't lose much money and *most* muggings are only after money and aren't violent if you give them what they want.

We felt the warnings we received about BA were valuable, but maybe stressed a bit too heavily. The biggest threats to our wallet, we felt, was spending too much money shopping and the biggest threats to our safety was riding in cabs in BA traffic.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 03:39 PM

I will say, though, that had a gun ever been pointed at us, I'm sure it would have colored my experience and shaken me up immensely. I'm sorry that happened to you. Perhaps BA is not so safe as our experience suggests, but perhaps your own experience colored your view too, and the truth is somewhere in the middle. In any case, using caution, staying alert, and not flashing anything valuable is good advice for anyone visiting BA (or NYC, or Paris, or London, or any big city anywhere).
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 04:04 PM

But to the other important issue, TARA: Did youall find some good restaurants to enjoy albeit with your son ?

I hope, when you have rested, that you will take some time to write a TR....I would love to read it. Welcome Back.
Old Dec 8th, 2011, 04:06 PM

OOPS, so sorry, Tara, I missed the other thread where you did, indeed, post a TR. Now, I am off to enjoy it. Thanks.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 04:27 AM
RSS
Original Poster

Of course, we were affected by a gun in my husband's face. Who wouldn't be? We were also affected by the lack of any Argentinian who watched this, to even find out if we were okay. I know my husband and I would have helped the other people. When locals were concerned, it had huge impact. It wasn't just us, it is what locals told us. I am so glad others are having good experiences. Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Certainly one's experiences affect their perceptions of a place. I have been robbed at knife point twice in my life time--once in the Times Square area of NYC and the again in Quito, Ecuador. I have no desire to return to Quito based on my experiences with the police after the incident....I have been back to NYC but remain somewhat leery when out after dark.

While I am sympathetic with RSS her perceptions are understandably colored by her negative experiences rather than looking at the facts....and the facts are that by taking normal precautions the probability Argentina is not as "dangerous" as many countries in the world...and Buenos Aires is actually safer than many major cities, including Detroit and Barcelona....
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 11:44 AM
RSS
Original Poster

I just love the assumptions others make. Well when someone holds a gun at your husband's head and 5 Argentian's are watching and when the people drive away and no one comes to say, do you want us to call the police and just go on their merry way. It says a lot!

My husband and I have been in more countries and unusual locations then probably most of the people on this blog. Every state in the US and Canada, every continent except Anatartica, from Cambodia to Jo-burg to Kakadu to Tasmania, to NYC to Paris,Rome to Tokyo to Taiwan, China, Philippines and the DMZ in Korea, looking at North Korea!

We are very careful and thoughtful travelers. Guess we just had some bad luck. But to say, I am not looking at the facts is ridiculous. I would walk NYC anytime at night and not BA or Mendoza!
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 01:38 PM

As some posters in the Lounge know (as I love to tell the story), I was mugged in San Francisco by about 15 teenagers. Many adults were nearby and not one did a thing. They looked away.

The good news is that after about a month, it became a great story to tell. I'm still milking it. Now, on to Lima in two weeks and those dangerous taxis.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM

From lovetotravel2 in her recent trip report
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...v-dec-2011.cfm

"Re safety issues, we had absolutely no problems."
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM

Finally catching up on this forum after a month away.

Getting mugged on the street has to be a similar feeling to have your home volated (break in) and I can sympathize with RSS.

This is not an often recurring thing, and should not be touted as such.

I don't think people here are making great assumptions, rather that you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

that won't change your opinion of your visit, but should also not indicate that future tourists will have the same experience or that the country, towns, etc are inherently bad or to be avoided.

Believe it or not, the fine people on this forum know what they're talking about.
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 05:19 PM

Wise words from frequent poster tptr.

It's nice and quite warm here, tptr.

Don't you wish you were here, instead of up there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -