Notices

cozumel with kids

Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cozumel with kids

Can anyone recommend a hotel (with pool) in Cozumel for a couple of days during our 2 week trip in the Yucatan? We would probably not do the all-inclusive since we have 3 kids. Are Coral Princess or Casa Mexicana a reasonable choices? Others? Also is Parque Chanakaab (spelling?) open?
Old May 7th, 2006, 06:30 PM

Chankanaab may or may not be open. El Presidente has/had an excellent swimming area plus an area for snorkeling. All depends what hotels are open. I like a site called Cozumelmy cozumel because it is locals answering questions.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I ended up reserving 3 nights at Hotel Playa Azul, even though we don't golf. I would have liked to go to Presidente but it is closed for repairs.
Old May 9th, 2006, 05:23 AM
TC

Hotel Playa Azul is very nice. They have completely rebuilt after hurricane Wilma. El Presidente was totally blown away and may not rebuild for some time as they are awaiting very slow coming insurance funds. Coral Princess would also have been a good choice. It has rebuilt after the hurricane.
Old May 12th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Coral Princess has alot of nice qualities, and seems to be a favorite among families with children. It's greatest asset is that it is aptly named: right outside the hotel is this fabulous stretch of coral shoreline ripe with vividly colored corals, sponges, and tons of fish, with a semi-sheltered cove where kids can get practice snorkeling and screaming with delight at all the beautiful fish that seem to hang around. (Small kids snorkel with a life vest of course since it's over their heads.) It's some of the best or maybe the best on-site shore snorkeling on Cozumel.

The down side is that it does not have a traditional white sand beach with a soft, sloping shoreline. It does however have a nice pool, a volleyball court, and activities that seem geared for kids and families. (I stayed at a hotel right next door and would walk over there to snorkel because it was so great..)

As a previous poster mentioned, Chakanaab would also be a must-do for families with kids, but you could plan a day trip there where ever you stayed. (I know alot of adults who sprung for the dolphin encounter- pricey but seems to be a life defining experience. And we've all heard how much dolphins seem to prefer children..)

Your kids will love you for taking them to Cozumel! What a wonderful experience they will have where ever you stay.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM
TC

Melshells: I'm sorry to report that most of the coral and sponges are gone from the Coral Princess (and all other shore snorkeling) sight. It is the one damage that Hurricane Wilma did that can not be undone. While there are still fish and the snorkeling is "as good as it gets", snorkeling in general suffered the most from HW. It is truly sad.
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:24 PM

TC- thanks so much so that unfortunate update. I have not been to Cozumel since the hurricane. How sad! I suppose the storm just ripped the sponges and coral from their footings. Any biologists out there? How long does it take for a shoreline sponge/ coral population to recover? A long time, I would guess....