Cozumel in October: good time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am thinking of going to Cozumel this coming October 2005. Still haven't the dates. Is it a good time to go? Is it hurricane season? Thanks to those who'll answer.
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 07:06 AM

I have been there many times in October and enjoyed it. However, it is still the hurricane season so always some risk involved. It certainly would not discourage me!
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 09:26 AM

We always take our vacation in Oct, not much to do in Colorado at that time. It is hurricane season but so far we have been lucky. Nice thing about that time it cost less, resturants are not so busy, if your a diver not so many people on the boat. Go for it!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 09:19 AM

As a Florida resident unfortunately I VERY familar with hurricanes. The season is June to Nvoember with the most active months being August and September. The closer you go to November (read END of October) the better off you will be.

Keep in mind many hurricanes came early this year and Cancun.Cozumel was hit pretty hard last week with Emily. I think there was a lot of damage to the resort areas and some hotels will probably be closed for several months for repairs . . . .
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:55 AM

Currently most of the damage in Cozumel is in the south and east end. The Iberostar will likely be closed for several months. Reef Club reports "major" damage. The Occidental Grand and Allegro will have no new check-ins for at least 2 weeks. Downtown seems relatively OK and now has electricity altho there are lots of trees down and broken streetlights. The northern end resorts like the Melia had less damage. The cruise ship port has some damage as do many of the public beaches on the south end.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:23 PM
sha

Tigerhawk: I hate to change the topic, but- have you heard any new info. on Puerto Aventuras?

Also friends of ours had a great vacation last Oct. We're planning on going there this Oct. It's a gamble, but.....
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:35 PM

Tigerhawk,

Do you happen to have a website indicating the resort closures? We are/were thinking of going to Cozumel in November possibly over Thanksgiving and I want to see the extenet of the damage.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM

My husband and I were there last October and had beautiful weather. We had a couple of brief storms that blew over as quickly as they blew in. Otherwise, beautiful blue skies. We had to apply suntan lotion everytime we were out, because the sun is very strong, even at this time of year. We will be at the El Cozumeleno on October 10th and hope to have the same beautiful weather.
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 01:05 PM

The latest I know on closures is this -you could always check the individual properties' websites:

Reef Club was supposed to reopen August 19

Iberostar is closed until Dec 1, Occidental Grand about the same

Everything else is pretty well open and advertising. Most of the damage was at the south end or east side of the island - the closer you got to town, the less damage there was. Places like Scuba Club and Hotel Cozumel were open throughout and never closed. AIs on the north end [like the Melia] also reported little damage.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Here is historical weather averages site. Just type in Mexico/Cozumel in the window and you should be able to find out historical averages for each month of the year. It will give you an idea of what to expect in the way of temperatures, rainfall, etc.

The height of hurricane season is September and the further you get away from that month, the less likely a hurricane will occur, but it is still a gamble, but I would still go if it were me.

http://www.weatherbase.com/
Old Sep 11th, 2005, 09:03 AM

Tigerhawk - Do you happen to know the status of some of the southern beach clubs...Nachi Cocom, Playa San Francisco, or Paradise Beach? I had heard that Nachi Cocom was closed, but that was a while back, and wondering if they are open now.

Thanks!!