Counting Down for CR / Last Minute Questions

Old Jul 7th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Counting Down for CR / Last Minute Questions

Counting down for departure to CR! Based on availability and family interests, we've settled on the following itinerary:

Day 1 - Family arrives San Jose and meets up with middle son at the end of his school trip, night at Xandari in Alajuela
Day 2 - to Arenal, night at Lost Iguana
Day 3 - Arenal, night at Lost Iguana
Day 4 - Arenal, night at Lost Iguana
Day 5 - to Nosara, night at Harmony Hotel
Day 6 - Nosara, night at Harmony Hotel
Day 7 - Nosara, night at Harmony Hotel
Day 8 - Nosara, night at Harmony Hotel
Day 9 - to Alajuela, night at Xandari
Day 10 - Poas Volcano or San Jose (?), night at Xandari
Day 11 - Depart San Jose

Questions:
1. Based on my reading and knowledge of family preferences, the Hanging Bridges, Tabacon Hot Springs, Sky Tram/Sky Trek are definitely on the Arenal itinerary. Would we also have time to fit a Cano Negro tour in our schedule, since we will only be in the Arenal area two full days? Any other recommendations for must-do activities in the area, based on our limited time there?
2. Top restaurant recommendations in the Arenal area?
3. Can you use credit cards at gas stations or only cash?
4. The last full day when we're staying at Alajuela - should we bother with a guided tour of San Jose highlights, or use it to visit the Poas volcano area, which I'm inclined to do? This may be a no brainer, but if we've already had a good experience at Arenal, is San Jose worth the time? If not, any suggestions other than Poas?

Thanks again for all your generous help and insights.
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 01:14 PM

Hi, MRand - we did the Cano Negro tour, and it took us almost a full day. We were gone from around 7:00 to about 4:00 if that helps you realize how much time it takes. It was our favorite thing we did on our trip last year; we enjoyed it a lot more than the Hanging Bridges because there was a lot more wildlife, and it involved a fun boat ride down the river. The Hanging Bridges are a nice hike, but we didn't see much there - just a nice, lush area to hike through.

Our favorite restaurants were El Novillo - good steaks and La Choza de Laurel - they're known for their rotisserie chicken. Both are open air outdoor restaurants. El Novillo doesn't look like much, but it has really good food.

You can get a discount on Tabacon tickets if you go in the evening - that's what I'd recommend because then you could use the daylight to do other activities.

San Jose has some nice museums you can visit (Gold, Jade), but I'd be more inclined to go to the La Paz Waterfall Gardens if I were you. The Peace Lodge has an aviary, ranarium, hummingbird garden, sepentarium, and butterfly house you can visit, and there are 5 beautiful waterfalls on the property. Poas is not too far away - we didn't get to see it because of all the mist/fog in the area; if it interests you, it's best to get there early in the day before the fog sets in.

If you decide to do the Hanging Bridges, it's right next door to the Lost Iguana, and you can walk from there. Also, the front desk sells tickets at a discount. Hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 08:51 AM

Hi MRand,

volcanogirl has already given some great advice. I second her restaurant recs for Arenal.

You can fit all of the activities in for Arenal. Tabacon can be done the afternoon/evening you arrive or on one of the other two evenings. Sky Trek and Hanging Bridges can be done on the same day (we did the Bridges in the morning and Sky Trek after lunch; worked out well for us). That leaves the other day for Cano Negro, which really is a terrific tour.

The only thing you may have to trade off would be daylight at Tabacon which is opulent and gorgeous. If you get to Arenal early enough on your first day, and head over to Tabacon before the sun sets, you can still have your cake and eat it too! Be warned however, that Tabacon is pricey and the food buffet (not included in the admission price) consistently gets poor reviews. I think its worth a visit, but eat elsewhere. ;-)

I'm pretty certain we used a credit card at the gasolinera in La Fortuna. I would expect this to be true in the more touristy areas, but best to have cash on hand just in case. Many places will take American dollars.

I have not visited San Jose, personally, but would second VG's recommendation of Poas and La Paz for your final day in CR. It's a beautiful area and even if Poas is clouded over, the nearby Waterfall Gardens at La Paz are gorgeous.

I haven't been to Nosara either, but hear its a lovely area. Sounds like you have a terrific itinerary!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl and cmerrell - Thanks for the advice and suggestions. You two and others including shillmac, tully, road advisor, Pat Hewitt provide a lot of tremendously helpful information on Costa Rica travel. It's what makes this forum such a great resource and is greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:10 AM

Just back from 12 day trip. We ate at La Choza de Laurel in La Fortuna and it was a wonderful meal. Very authentic. Great grilled/baked plantain, chicken, fish. We also did Tabacon Springs in the dark (and some drizzle) and it was very nice but I would have liked to see where I was going a bit better. Idon't know the price since it was part of our package but we were very pleased with the dinner. The buffet was wellpresented and I had grilled steak, shrimp, lots of salad, fruit, and a delicious dessert with decaf Costa Rican coffee....the first place I've seen it served.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Another excellent choice is Don Rufinos in La Fortuna...really good food...service can be slow...but is worth it waiting for food!! Natural Fruit juices the best...!!

Hopefully I will see you guys on the road...!!

You can pay with credit cards at gas stations...one little advice...once you get to the station...get out of the car and be sure the pump is at 0000
Then they will start pumping!!

The archeological museum in San Jose is very nice...you will admire the work of our ancestors...and the location of most indian tribes in our country!!

R.A Luis

Just buckle up and enjoy the ride in paradise!!
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Just another vote for Cano Negro tour over Hanging Bridges -- much better wildlife. Also agree with La Paz Waterfall gardens over downtown San Jose.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Depending on the ages of your children, Desafio Adventure Company offers some amazing adventure tours, whitewater rafting on class 2-3 or class 3-4, and the ever popular Canyoneering, rapelling down waterfalls as you make your way through their private Lost Canyon. This tour is superior to the Pure Trek one cuz it has more waterfalls, higher waterfalls, walks you right through the river canyon instead of through a trail and doesn't make you do the highest waterfall first, so you can warm uo to the adventure. Hanging Bridges isn't that interesting, just a nice walk, a little tiring. As for Tabacon it is way over priced, like $38 just to get in!!! And heaven forbid you should want a drink while you are there. Baldí Hot Springs or Eco Thermals are just as nice or nicer and much more economic options.
The restaurant at Hotel Manoa is definately the best place to eat if you don't mind paying for the luxury, otherwise the others you,ve been recommende are pretty good too. Poas Volcano is a cool stop, intereting and educational. Cano Negro can be worth the trip, or Desafio also offers a cool cultural experience trip with a animal reserve, a womans coop, and an organic garden included. Ranch Margot is another grea option with an awesome view.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:33 PM

byronelaine,

I know what you mean about the lighting at Tabacon! It does get dark with all the black lava rock in the pools, and the lantern-lit trails. I went exploring a few pathways on my own and somehow ended up on a remote side path that was practically pitch dark. To make matters worse, I didn't have my glasses with me! I actually got a bit freaked out for just a few minutes until I stumbled back into civilization, lol!

I'm glad you enjoyed the buffet. I have no first-hand experience to draw from, but have read a number of negative reports.

MRand,

Thanks for the kind words. I agree that this forum is a tremendous resource. I am hardly a Costa Rica authority with only one trip under my belt, but I certainly did pick up some valuable information here on Fodor's that helped make my trip a rousing success. I definitely vouch for the advice of shillmac, tully, Pat, Suzie2 and other regular posters. I followed their recommendations and had a phenomenal time! Volcanogirl and I are novice enthusiasts who have been bitten big time by the CR bug. I'm making my second trip in December! I wonder if VG is thinking about trip #3 yet? Soon she and I will rank up there with the shillmacs and tullys.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 05:50 PM

The only change I'd suggest for your itinerary is to not stay at Xandari for 3 nights. Xandari is a beautiful property, but you might get tired of it staying that many nights when there are other inns that are equally or more inviting: Finca Rosa Blanca- stay in one of the 2 room villas. The architecture and food there is wonderful. Peace Lodge, especially if you are visiting Waterfall Gardens. That is as long as the 2 bedroom suite is available. You can get a gourmet meal delivered to your room for the family and watch DVD's, or else have a romantic dinner at the restaurant. Vista del Valle Plantation Inn--a beautiful nature lodge not far from the airport. They are all my favorites, (as well as Xandari), but why not experience more than just one.
Old Jul 9th, 2007, 06:27 PM

It's my pleasure, MRand - I love seeking advice here, so I'm always happy to help anyone I can. It's so hard to choose, isn't it?!

cmerrell, you are making me laugh - when I grow up, I get to be Tully or Shillmac!
You're right; I've only been home a couple days, and I'm already mulling over trip #3. But I wonder if anything can live up to where we've already gone. Husband wants to go back to Peace Lodge, Arenal, and Bosque del Cabo since we loved them so much, but part of us wants to try a new spot too. Decisions, decisions.
Old Jul 10th, 2007, 10:36 AM

aw shucks, thanks For your last day, another option is the Ecoscape all in one tour - you'll get to see Poas, a coffee plantation, boat ride on the Sarapiqui and a stop at La Paz waterfall (outside, not on the property). I can't remember but I think it's about $60 and takes all day - real nice way to see a lot of things and have someone else take care of the details.

And SkyTrek is a blast!