Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Costa Rica trip to Bosque Del Cabo, Info Please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our initial itinerary has us flying into San Jose, renting a car, then driving to Arenal to stay for 4 nights. Not sure exactly where yet in Arenal, but I want to nail down the Osa part of our trip. We will be returning to San Jose, then take a Nature Air flight to PJ. We are going as a family of 4 including my 11 yr old son in the middle of July.

My question: has anyone stayed in Casa Blanca recently. I had read some bad reviews a couple of years ago, but figure since then things are probably OK. ALSO, would it make more sense to stay in a Deluxe Cabina w/loft?. Is it too hot up there to sleep (even with fans)? Are there mosquito nets on the beds up in the loft as well?

Cannot wait for this trip! Any feedback on my post is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Of course, I am talking about Bosque Del Cabo, sorry for the omission!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:27 AM

It really depends on the cooking situation, if you feel like you'll be up to that or want to pay extra for meals. Casa Blanca, from what I've seen walking around on the decks and from others pics inside, looks great. I wouldn't hesitate myself to stay there. On the other hand, the cabinas are nice too and you won't have to worry about the food situation. Tucan is one I've stayed in that had a loft, it did have nets upstairs over the 2 beds. It's warm at night but I've never found it hard to go to sleep, usually averages about 75-77 at 9pm, so with the small fans it's pretty comfy, at least I think so. Casa Blanca would give you a bit more privacy, but really it's a toss-up.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:48 AM

We've stayed in Tucan too and loved it. Agree with tully that you might want Casa Blanca if you want separate bedrooms and bathrooms and a kitchen; the loft concept is pretty open. Our cabin was in the low 80s at night according to our little temperature clock.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:51 PM

We are staying in Casa Blanca the last week of July this summer! Last year when we were at BdC we walked through it when no one was staying there and it looks great! The Patio is HUGE and you have a frig for cold water or you can cook if you want. We are going to eat our meals at the lodge but it will be nice to have the frig and freezer to keep our drinks cold. There is a bedroom on each side of the house with its own bathroom and the living room and kitchen are in the middle of the house and open. Huge doors open from the living room and each bedroom onto the large patio that overlooks the pacific ocean and the view is amazing. (You will want to keep the doors closed when you are gone and at night). I thought it was a really nice place, not perfect I am sure but I was impressed enough to want book it for my family. I had read the same reviews you had so I was concerned as well even though I had seen the inside so I communicated with two different people through Trip Advisor who has stayed there with in the last 6 months and they both loved it. There are a few bugs (ants and stuff) but nothing major that you shouldnt expect to see in the raiforest. Hope this helps
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information folks....it is always helpful to have spoken with people who have stayed somewhere where you want to stay.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:50 AM

Our family was 4 people when we went to the Osa Peninsula, and it turned out that the price for a charter was the same as 4 seats on a scheduled flight. If you do that, you could drop your car off at Arenal, and fly directly from Arenal to the Osa.
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Shooie, what exactly do you mean by "charter" as opposed to scheduled flight?
Old Apr 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM

Sansa offers charged flights, probably Nature Air too (private). Not sure how much they cost, but if you can snag the loco fares on Nature Air that's a good way to go as well.