Search

Costa Rica Trip Plans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Trip Plans

I am trying to plan an 8 day trip to Costra Rico. I am flying into San Jose, but could change to Liberia. Only want to visit two locations and can't decide between Arenal, Manuel Antonio, Guanacaste or Drake Bay.

If we go to Arenal, do we stay at the Arenal paraiso or the lost iguana. If we go to Manuel Antonio, do we stay at Si Como or Hotel Parador. Ditto for Guanacaste. Hotel Punta Islita or Paridus Playa Concah. Finally, does anyone know anything about Paloma Lodge in Drake Bay?

I could use any help that you can provide. I have been going crazy on the internet trying to find out information and I'm informationed out.

Thanks in advance
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 03:25 PM

I just got back from Costa Rica in mid-March. I highly recommend the Arenal area. Stay at Los Lagos. Its fantastic.
We also enjoyed the Monteverde area, and the Monteverde Cloud Forest Lodge. Did the Original Canapy Tour there. It was great.
Scott
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Punta Islita, as an upscale resort hotel, has an excellent reputation (haven't stayed there), but is isolated and difficult to get to. Paradisus Playa Conchal is very nice if you are looking for an all-inclusive--easier location, IMO. Good area to explore as well.

We liked Arenal Paraiso--but have heard nothing but good regarding Lost Iguana. Also enjoyed Si Como No very much in MA--can't advise regarding Hotel Parador. Seems there was a negative review on Fodor's recently (?), but can't remember for sure. You could do a search. . .Good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2005, 02:14 PM

Note that a lot of recent postings indicate that the lava flows may be shifting. Check to see that your hotel is located where you will have a chance to see the lava show at night.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM

We just returned from Costa Rica and visited Arenal and Manuel Antonio. In Arenal we stayed at Montana de Fuego (everyone was great there except for the reception area staff who were pretty rude). The lava has shifted to the side opposite of Montana de Fuego. You can see the active volcano/rocks during the park hike. I would recommend visiting Arenal if you can, although be prepared for some rain.

In Manuel Antonio we stayed at Si Como No and it was very nice. We met some people at the restaurant who were staying at Hotel Parador (I believe it is the one with the private beach) and they were really happy with the hotel buildings but were very disappointed with their room accomodations for the price they were paying. We didn't visit Guanacaste but heard good things about Drake Bay. Wherever you choose, you will enjoy it!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 08:07 PM

Arenal go for Lost Iguana if you want nicer accomodations. In MA, I would do Si Como No. Parador is nice, but isolated if you want to get around easily.