Search

Costa Rica - Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica - Pacific

Hi,
I just started researching the Esterillos beach area on the pacific coast - has anyone been? If so, is it as quiet as it seems? I'm also wondering what the waters are like as I'm not into crashing waves but would like to dive, snorkle and fish. Are there any restuarants or other activities nearby (walking distance). How about bicycles - I didn't see any mention of them.

Also, anyone know of some cheap digs on the beach or with a view? Rustic is preferred. Although it sounds like buses are nearby can you tell me if that's practical or should I think about a car?
Many thanks;
Sherry
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM

Try posting this on Lonely Planet forum ThornTree, Central America Branch.
One of the regular posters lives in Esterillos area.
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

I'm also interested in the area from Jaco to Quedo as well, if anyone has been there.
Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 03:50 PM

I was not impressed with Jaco. THe beach was dirty, it was the only place in CR where they openly tried to rip us off, too many head shops & tattoo parlors.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, what did you do there? Just passing thru?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 03:41 PM

We were staying nearby (PUnta Leona) and went into "town" one day. Depends on what you are looking for. I was not impressed.

Do you mean QUepos (quedo)?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

yes, Quedos
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 04:42 AM

Quedos or Quepos?
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Ok, you busted me on that, faithie - it's Quepos (checked the map) - any info. on QUEPOS or the surrounding areas on the beach? Tough crowd here - there isn't even a Quedos in Costa Rica, so I don't get your confusion
Thanks for your kindness ahead.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 06:51 AM

Most people heading for Quepos are going for Manuel Antonio Park. It's a nice area, nice park, tends to gets crowded at times, but many activities and a nice stop. Of Jaco I have heard mainly negatives over the years (prostitues, drugs, dirty water, etc)
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM

Goodess! I did not consider getting out a map to look if there was a Quedos, I assumed perhaps there WAS... Just needed to clarify if you actually meant Quepos. Lonley planet might offer the best ideas in the budget area. As others mentioned, Jaco not the best of places.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks tully, I'll check M. Antonio out. I've read some things stating that the beach sounds nice. I'm wondering though, is it kinda Westernized? How's the diving, snorkeling and kayaking there?
One more question; Is anyone familiar with Osa or Drakes Island? As you see I'm slowly working my way down the coast.
Gracias!
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 03:45 PM

hi cybor, you might get a little more help if you cut people such as faithie some slack, she wasn't be a "tough crowd", just needed to be clear on what you were talking about. esterillos est has a good beach for surfing and swimming with a good restaurant and budget accomodations. will research my files for the exact name if you want it. let me know. i'm heading to C. rica on a red-eye tonite, so if i don't hear from you before midnight,i'll get it for you when i return on aug 27, if you still want it.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM

I also just assumed there must be some very small place called Quedos !!!

Just because I have never heard of it ..does not mean it could not exist.

Is someone giving my "faithie" a hard time?!! Grrrrr!

Percy
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM

The Osa penn is beautiful, my favourite place in CR. It is probably best to fly there from San Jose on Sansa or Nature Air. I have stayed at Bosque del Cabo (fantastic) and Lookout Inn (okay), neither are particularly cheap or rustic but I am sure there are some cheap places to stay. The beaches at/by both these places are okay for swimming but pretty rough, I doubt diving/snorkeling would be any good. There is an island near Drakes Bay that is said to be good for that, forget the name though.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

derwood, if you get this in time yes, I would appreciate the name and any other info. you have - thanks, that would be great.

tully, i'll check out that area. I read something stating that you have to hike 45mins. to get into the area around Corcovado - is the whole area like that?
Also, anyone know anything about Drakes Bay?
Gracias!
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Yes, that is about right. Lookout Inn is one of the closest places you can stay to Corcovado Park in Carate. A couple there went with a guide and said it was about a 1 hour hike to the park. Closest would be one of the camp style places, Corcovado Tent Camp is one of them. There was also a place about 2-3 minutes up the road from Lookout Inn that was more of a camp/hostel type but the name escapes me.
Old Aug 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM

We stayed at a good moderate cabin lodge south of Drakes Bay, Cabinas Las Caletas. The area is beautiful. Took the boat/guided tour to Corcovado. $70 for the day and Cano Island snorkeling tour $70 a day. Dolphin tours are next door. Corcovado is awesome.
Off Cano Island the fish schools were good bit very little coral seen snorkeling. Mirador Lodge/ budget in Drakes bay gets good reviews.

La Leona Tent Lodge/moderate, near Carate,( other side of Osa ) gets good reviews and close to Corcovado south entrance and has good trails onsite. We stayed in Cabo Matapalo area at Encanta La Vida/moderate half way to Carate from Puerto Jimenez.
Old Aug 21st, 2006, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Excellent info. tully and Earthtraveler, thanks this really helps.

I'll check the rec. places out. I think I'm really liking the sound of the entire Osa area. My main goal is to go down and be a beach bum, read, eat, laze around and inbetween snorkel, dive, hike, kayak, check out some worthy sites and whatever.
I'm wondering if you think 1 or even 2 weeks are too much in Osa.

Maybe depending on transport do a stop over (3-4 days) on Manuel Antonio. And if rec. and folks say it's different enough from Osa or there's good stuff there head up to the Northwest areas for another week or 2.
Any thoughts welcome.
Gracias!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:41 PM

hi cybor, just back from central coast of costa rica last night. esterillos est (east) is a particulary beautiful stretch of beach. safe uncrowded and good for body surfing or even beginning surfing. the place i recommend is hotel pelican or auberge du pelican. it is right on the beach and even if you don't stay there, it is a great place to take in the sunset from their open air restaurant, sit in their hammocks, sip on a cool drink and just kick back. you can beach it for the day, shower off in their outdoor showers, hang out on their lawn and then eat there for a good reasonably priced meal. i had a big piece of marinated dorado (mahi mahi), fresh veggies and rice for about 7 bucks. there is a website http://www.pelicanbeachfronthotel.com
which will give you more info. incidentally, there is a great pool table in the open air restaurant which you can play on for free either before during or after dinner. hope that helps.