Costa Rica or Panama for Family of Five

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Central America in March (2 adults and kids aged 13, 11 and 6). The kids are well seasoned travelers who have visited 20 countries so far.

The kids want to see as many countries as possible in a two-week period. My current thought was to visit Panama for 5-6 days and Costa Rica for 7-8 days, including a 2-day detour to Granada in Nicaragua. If we did this we would be willing to get back on a plane from Panama City to San Jose instead of trying to cover everything by land.

Is this too ambitious? If we did try it, how would you recommend we handle transportation? If it's way too ambitious, which part would you cut out? And if we decided to choose just one country, should it be Costa Rica or Panama?

Thanks!

Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:02 AM

Wow...tough question at the end. To us, CR is made up of 4 "quadrants" of sights and sounds and interests: Pacific side Northwest (surfer dude with great waves and tourists aimed at the beach; Pacific side South Central (Jaco/Quepos/Manuel Antonio area - again beaches but also the most visited National Park in the country; Central Valley north near Arenal/LaFortuna (Eco/Cloudforest/Hot Springs); and Caribe side (a trip into the "like Jamacia" with it's own dialect). I didn't mention San Jose simply because I see no reason to even visit the city. Minimal "things to see" and outlying towns like sarchi and grecia are much nicer and more "local flavor" anyway.

Roads are poor...even the PA Highway can be tough. Enough said....VERY typical 3rd World infa-structure but that is part of what makes the experience so neat.

Panama City of very metropolitan and historical. A half day Canal trip is "Must see". Great parks and good food. Some rough spots in poor areas but just ask the hotel folks and use common sense. Boucette is a must. Boca del Toro is the other "island" area that is pretty cool on the Caribe side closer to the CR border. Great coffee plantation tours...wonderful sunsets....better main roads and infa-sstructure than CR in many places, etc.

Like I said....Wow. Both countries deserve AT LEAST a week each. Heck, rent a car and drive the drive. Think of all the experiences we lose when we are inside an airplane! Have fun.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM

We have three children who were about 8, 12, and 16 when they visited both Panama and Costa Rica on separate trips. Like your children, they are well traveled and appreciate the experience and adventure of most places. When we went to Costa Rica, we went to the Manuel Antonio area where they surfed, went ziplining through the rain forest, national parks tours, etc. When we went to Panama we split our time between Panama City (canal), the San Blas Islands (rustic but an unbelievably good and unique experience) and the luxury private huts over the water experience (the place had the potential to be awesome but storms and poor service ruined our stay). All in all, I'd say the kids enjoyed both places (= do both if you can) but preferred the trip to Costa Rica (=choose this one if you have to make a choice). If you've got two weeks, I think you can do both (and possibly all three) easily. We spent one week at each... Enjoy!!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:51 PM

We've spent a total of many months in Costa Rica and can't imagine not returning again and again. So many things about it we love and so many fabulous areas to visit. When one gets tired of the "regular" tourist spots, there are SO many little out of the way places there Americans are few and far between and you can really enjoy the country and its people.

That said, we branched out last summer to Bocas del Toro and had a great time. This summer we are going to spend an extra week in Panama and have planned some time at Canopy Tower, Panama City (will, of course, do Miraflores Locks), Boquete, and a couple of days at the beach not far from Boquete. It was hard for us to make these choices, as there is a LOT to choose from, same as Costa Rica.

I'd suggest a few days at Arenal and a few days at Manuel Antonio. Then fly to Panama City, see the canals, maybe go to San Blas Islands, perhaps some time up near David and Boquete.

You could also do 2 weeks in Costa Rica easily. And 2 weeks in Panama. So back to a "tough choice". Probably would be easier to do one or the other rather than both. A friend of mine was in Panama for a few days last month (with her son on business) and she absolutely loved being near the Kuna tribe, wherever that is. Somewhere near Gatun Lake and Gatun Locks, I think. Perhaps in the Colon area? Not sure. We're just starting to acquaint ourselves with Panama and I don't have a very good feel for where everything is yet. Costa Rica, by now, I probably know better than I know my home state!
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 03:40 AM

Hi Guys,
The Kuna live in the San Blas Islands. They actually live where they like of course but this is their area. They are self governed and are fiercely independant. Coast guards of Panama, US, whatever are not allowed in their waters. One of their elders actually sits in the Panama Legislature.