Costa Rica or Panama

Old Oct 22nd, 2009, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica or Panama

I've been interested in visting these countries for a long time, I haven't been to either. The only countries in Central America I have visited are Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. I know that both Costa Rica and Panama are eco tourism destinations. Which one of these two countries is better to visit in 12 to 14 days? I know Panama has the canal and Costa Rica has a more developed eco tourism infrastructure.

Which of these countries would you choose to visit?

I am particularily interested in feedback from people who have been to both countries.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 04:12 AM

Each has its attraction very much depends on your interests.

www.visitcostarica.com more americanized for adventure

www.visitpanama.com for culture exotic areas like San Blas

would probably split the difference do both

via www.ticabus.com...
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 04:14 AM

also visit Jan-Mar less rain
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:21 AM

I've been to Costa Rica twice, Panama once, so certainly not an expert.

My time in Panama was spent in/around Panama City, the San Blas Islands and Bocas del Toro. We had terrible weather on Bocas, still found it an intesting place. Loved the San Blas islands, beautiful water, fascinating Kuna culture. Panama City is nice, much more pleasant place to be than San Jose Costa Rica. We also did a full transit of the canal. Very long day, if I had it to do over, would only do a partial transit.

Costa Rica is beautiful. Some absolutely drop dead gorgeous scenery. We enjoyed hiking around the volcano at Arenal. Also enjoyed Tabacon Hot Springs. Spent time in Manual Antonio, the beaches are lovely, enjoyed all the wildlife. This has been several years ago, understand it's pretty Americanized now, it was then, now that I think about it. And, of couse, the Osa. We stayed by Drake Bay, hiked, did a day trip to Cano Island.

There's much more to see and do in both countries. We enjoyed both, would like to return to both.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 06:57 AM

I can only speak about Costa Rica, but we love it so much that we've been several times and are still exploring new areas. Active volcanoes, waterfalls, amazing wildlife like monkeys and sloths, beautiful beaches, white water rafting, natural hot springs, ziplining, and warm, wonderful people.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 09:01 AM

My heart will always belong to Costa Rica, but I have really come to appreciate Panama for how easy it is to get around. It's not such a chore to get places the way it can be in Costa Rica.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:17 AM

You can't beat Costa Rica!

People, hiking, fishing, beaches...great place.

www.myvacationforums.com
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:24 AM

If you go to this website, you can view a video about a neat spot in Costa Rica, not that far from Panama.

http://www.bosquedelcabo.com/home/index.html
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 11:44 AM

You do get it that you're asking on a Forum that supposedly represents 8 countries but features Costa Rica in about 90% of the posts, right? If you were asking on the Thorntree Forum, for example, you'd get a much different sampling.
Old Oct 23rd, 2009, 03:03 PM

Costa Rica gets my vote!! I just can't get enough of it. I've been to San Blas in Panama & found it very interesting & am glad I had the opportunity to go but there's just something about Costa Rica that draws me back.
Old Oct 24th, 2009, 05:54 AM

Been to Costa Rica 4x.
Been to Panama 2x.
Love both. For what u r looking for u can't go wrong with either. It is a little hard to compare, they are similar but "different"....hard to put into words for me.
In the end, while I obviously love Costa Rica, I choose Panama.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 06:06 PM

I have also visited both, and agree both are beautiful. It just depends on what you are looking for. Costa Rica seems to be more developed for tourism. I saw a lot more wildlife in Costa Rica, than in Panama. Panama City is sometimes refered to as the Miami of central america. It is well developed, and has a lot going on. Panama also has many beautiful islands if you are interested in snorkeling it's the place to go. Both have amazing hiking. It's a toss up for me! I love them both!
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 07:18 PM

A toss up for me too and we've been to both several times. We love both. The fact that Panama has a nicer more cosmopolitan capital city, the canal, and a more diverse population provides a wider range of possible activity (if you appreciate these other things). AND it has wonderful possibilities for hiking/seeing wildlife etc as well. Costa Rica to me is ALL about nature. Which is not to say that when we're there we ever tire of its beauty. You can't make a bad choice here.
Old Nov 9th, 2009, 09:20 AM

Many travelers are now doing both Costa Rica and Panama. It is easy to catch a flight from San Jose to David airport in Panama. Then you can take a cab or bus to Boquete, in the western highlands of Panama. There is a lot to do in Boquete: white water rafting and kayaking, rock climbing, horseback riding, hiking, etc... It is cheaper in Panama than Costa Rica.