costa Rica -- late December or mid March?

Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa Rica -- late December or mid March?

We are in the early stages of planning a Costa Rican trip. We can go late December -- to early January or the second week in March. What is the weather like during these two time? I am hoping for dry and less humid. Thanks
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM

December to April is generally considered the dry season. Which areas are you wanting to visit? Here's a good weather map to see general rain patterns. Mouse over the areas you're interested in.

http://costa-rica-guide.com/Weather/WeatherMap.html
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

we are thinking of Serapiqui, Arenal Volcano area and Manuel Antonio area. I am open to any other suggestions. Am I correct in assuming that March will most likely be dryer than the first week in January?
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 02:49 PM

I think the weather will be good for either time.

The real concern here is that you are considering a trip over Christmas. This is one of the busiest times of the year. Not only do you have the normal influx of foreign tourists, but all the locals take a week off too. The beaches and restaurants are packed, and holiday hotel rates are in effect.

We have been trying to accommodate Christmas travelers in the last couple of weeks, and have been running into major problems with availability.

If you are able to travel in March, I would highly recommend that you go then.

Hope this helps! Let me know if I can offer more advice.

Warm Regards,
Pat Hewitt
(Travel professional)
Old Sep 8th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Totally agree with Pat. Dec-Jan will be packed! March is much, much better!
I have not seen a drop of rain in March since I moved here almost 6 years ago, so don't worry about the weather.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Yin

But in March you have to consider the Holy Week, it's a major Holiday here, and schools have the whole week off, so lot's of families get vacations too. I'm not sure, what week is gonna be next year, but should consider checking for it.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Are things still very busy during the week after New Years?
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 10:24 AM

No worries about Holy Week in March of 2011 - it is in April. Easter is April 14.

Things will not be as busy after New Year's and, if fact, there is a little "slump" at this time so it would definitely be preferable to the last week of December.

I think either March or the first week of January would be fine, depending on what you need/want to do.

As for where to go - I would not know where to start to advise you because I really know nothing about what you want to do or what you are interested in, how long you will be here, etc. Looks like you have done some homework and found places that suit you and they will be fine. Sarapiqui is a great area for wildlife and both Arenal and Manuel Antonio have a lot to offer.

As a rule of thumb, we usually recommend seeing two places for a week's vacation here. Anything else and you will spend a lot of your time traveling. Check here for distances and travel times: www.yourtravelmap.com This will give you some ideas and perhaps help with your planning.
Old Sep 9th, 2010, 05:49 PM

Sarapiqui is one of our favorite areas - we love staying at Selva Verde. It has lots of birds, frogs and wildlife on the grounds and offers free bird walk morning and evening. Also visit La Selva for birding or natural history tours, Tirimbina for chocolate or bat tours.