Search

Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Itinerary Help

I am planning a trip to Costa Rica in Mid-July. The following are the things I would like to see. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Arenal Volcano - 1 or 2 Nights
Monteverde - 1 or 2 Nights (Canopy Tour & Either Horseback/Boat/Horseback or Jeep/Boat/Jeep to Areanl)
WhiteWater Rafting Paquare
OSA Peninsula - Dolpin Encounter, Hike Corcovado & Maybe Cano Island

I am planning on 10-12 days.

Please help me!

Thanks!
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:41 PM

You could do this itinerary in a variety of ways. I would suggest

San Jose to Monteverde 2 nights
transfer
Arenal 2 nights

Return to SJO 1 night

Fly to Osa 3-4 nights

Return to San Jose 1 night

Raft Pacuare, last night in SJO.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 09:48 PM

Sorry, I posted too soon!

I wanted to say that, if you do all 4 things, you are probably going to need at least 11 nights (12 would be better). Think about this alternative:

Arrive SJO, overnight
Pacuare, overnight SJO
Monteverde 2 nights
Arenal 2 nights
Return to SJO, overnight
early a.m. flight to Osa--3 overnights
return to SJO overnight

Twelve nights would allow you 4 on the Osa, which would be nice. I like the looks of this plan better. With 10 nights, you need to drop something!
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:51 AM

So much really depends on when you arrive in the country. There is no need to spend time in the Alajuela/San Jose area the first night if you get in early enough.

Arenal is the closest and you might want to think about heading there first if you get into the country in time the first day. 2 nights in that area would give you plenty of time to see many of the highlights. An early morning ride/boat/van to Monteverde and 2 nights there would again give you time to see the highlights. There is a morning public bus (7am) from Monteverde that takes about 4hrs to San Jose. It is express although they make a stop at the bottom of the mountain for a bathroom/food break and also another quick stop at the airport for those people who are heading out (you need to let the bus driver know to stop there). There is a 1pm Sansa flight that you could catch to Drake Bay providing the bus doesn't break down on the way or some other glitch like a traffic accident holding things up. You would need to allow 2 nights for the river rafting because of the very early departure and late afternoon arrival back into the city.

So far.....

Day 1 arrive-possible transfer to Arenal
Day 2 sight seeing, night in Arenal
Day 3 early morning transfer via horse/boat/van to Monteverde, night in Monteverde
Day 4 sight seeing Monteverde, night in Monteverde
Day 5 early transfer to airport for 1pm flight to Drake Bay, night in DB
Day 6 Dolphin encounter, night in DB
Day 7 corcovado hike , night in DB
Day 8 cano island, night in DB
Day 9 fly back to SJ, night in SJ
Day 10 River rafting night in SJ
Day 11 leave for home

This schedule would give you just a little wiggle room to allow for your first night in SJ if needed although you might have to give up one of the tours in the DB area.

If you are nervous about making the 1pm Sansa flight you could do the Pacuare at this time. Optional itinerary....

D1 Arrive transfer to Arenal, n Arenal
D2 Arenal, n Arenal
D3 Transfer Monteverde, n Monteverde
D3 Monteverde, n Montevere
D4 7am Departure from Monteverde to SJ
night in SJ
D5 Raft Pacuare, n SJ
D6 flight to Drake Bay, n DB
D7 Dolphin Encounter, n DB
D8 hike Corcovado, n DB
D9 Cano Island, n DB
D10 Depending on departure from country you could spend the night in San Jose or try to get an early enough flight to get back to SJ in time to catch possible afternoon flight out.

The above 2 options should give you some ideas on how you could also play with your schedule on your own. If you end up staying in SJ the first night you could save time on the mid trip return to SJ by going to Monteverde first and then having the shorter trip to SJ mid week and thereby possibly have better luck making that 1pm flight.

Have fun
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I oopsed too. Same amount of nights on both itineraries but have you down for 2 day 3's. You would head for home on the 11th day on the second itinerary also.