Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

arenal + san jose : how to split 5 nights ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have my first 5 nights set (3 in Drake Bay, 2 in Monteverde). I am now debating if I should do 3 nights in Arenal and 2 in San Jose before flying back, or do 4 in Arenal and just 1 night in San Jose. I am not interested in any "city" activities - I will just be using San Jose as a base for day trips if I stay there 2 nights. We are a family of 4 (kids 12 & 9). I will have a rental car. And my flight back is at 2.30 pm, so I will even have the morning of day 6 available.

With 3 nights in Arenal & 2 in San Jose, my rough plan would be
- Arrive Arenal on day 1 from Monteverde, see the volcano that night
- Hike and/or zipline on day 2; hot springs
- Cano Negro on day 3
- Drive to San Jose via La Paz waterfall on day 4
- Find some day trip around San Jose on day 5 (maybe a drive/hike in Braulio Carrillo, or maybe even the Rainforest Aerial Tram - is this worth it for our last day in CR ??)

If I stay 4 nights in Arenal, I will replace the day trip around San Jose with something around Arenal (perhaps a half-day trip on the Penas Blancas, or may even just hang out and spend a relaxed day doing nothing much except soaking in the view).

Recommendations ?? Thanks for all the help on this board so far, I cannot imagine how I would plan this trip without your help !!

Sunil
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 11:00 AM

I would actually add another night in Drake Bay, and shorten San Jose to 1 night. Osa is one of the most amazing places you'll be and it's your first stop. Take the opportunity to soak in the amazing rainforest and wildlife there and enjoy 3 full days after you get settled in. There will be plenty to see and do, and I don't think you'll regret it!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Totally agree with the Hip Virgo Chick!
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Too late to add a night in Osa. I am going peak season, and availibility is very limited - I was lucky to get 3 nights in Drake Bay. And things looked so tight that I have already booked my return flight from Drake Bay to SJO on day 4, so adding nights in Drake Bay is out (I do not think I can change the flight, and even if I could availability in Drake Bay is very doubtful).

I also found very limited availability of hotels in Monteverde, so I have already booked 2 nights there, so that decision is also set (although I suppose hotels are easier to change than flights).

For whatever reason, I see more availability in Arenal for hotels compared to Monteverde. And I assume that in San Jose, there will always be a hotel available somewhere. SO its down to 3 in Arenal + 2 in SJ, or 4 + 1 (currently leaning towards 3 + 2..).

Sunil
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 01:49 PM

I believe it's $15 per ticket change fee for the airlines (one-way). But, anyhow, if it's down to Arenal and San Jose I think Arenal would be the better place to end up with the flexibility for free time. Even if you don't stay at Los Lagos, they offer a day pass for the water slides if the kids want to go, there's Venado caves, hanging bridges, visiting town, horseback riding and other things in addition to the things you already have on your schedule. I would leave early as possible from Arenal to get the most out of your day in La Paz.
Old Aug 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Plus, don't forget that you won't necessarily see the volcano "that night." We were there three nights and never saw the volcano due to cloud cover, but still had a wonderful time in the area. So it's good to spend the time there to allow for more opportunities to see the volcano in action. The zipline where you take the tram to the top was awesome. Incredible views of the lake and long, high zip lines with some speed. We went with our 9 and 13 year olds. Also, bring a windbreaker when you go. We headed up the tram on a beautiful clear sunny day and somehow ended up in pouring rain and were cold and wet. Still had fun on the ziplines and the rainbows made for beautiful pictures. Also, don't go all the way to the end for Cano Negro. The road gets really bad and it was a very, very long day. I think there is a closer place to get on the river. You might fit in a rafting trip if you aren't already doing that. My kids enjoyed rafting there. Agree about La Paz, they have really expanded that place and there is more to do there now. Have a great trip!