Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

please help: afternoon transport to Arenal March 11th??

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My girlfriend and I are traveling to Costa Rica March 11th. Our plane to SJO gets in at 1:47 and we want to get to Arenal that day via bus. There is a Grayline bus that will stop at a hotel near the SJO airport at 3:45. I worry that this is cutting it too close but I can't find any other options.

Does anyone have an alternate transportation suggestion for 4 PM or later from the airport to Arenal? We would be interested in sharing a private transport if others are going to Arenal that afternoon as well. Please post response on board or email me at seholster_AT_yahoo.com Thank you very much.
Sam
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

sam,
Just returned from CR and visited Arenal. Spoke to some people who took a bus and it was an extremely long trip. I hired a driver and the cost was $100 for the van (we had 4 people) The trip took 3 1/2 hours, and he pointed out all the local sights. Website is www.monterverdeinfo.com
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:09 PM

Although I have no personal experience with this - others seem to like Interbus. http://www.costaricapass.com/

Rates are very reasonable. You can do a search of this forum for Interbus and gets some good advice on this choice.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:14 PM

We arrived at SJ at 2230 and it took about 45 minutes to get thru immigration and customs as another plane loaded with passengers landed about 5 minutes before us. I would suggest private transport as it will fit into your schedule as oppossed to you fitting into the bus schedule, especially after flying for several hours.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Interbus unfortunately doesn't leave late enough in the day.

Private transfer $100 for just the two of us is probably more than we want to pay but if we can't make a bus I guess we will. Do these have to be reserved well in advance?
Sam
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 08:27 AM

Too bad you were not arriving on the 10th- we have a private transfer reserved with Costa Rican transfers:
http://www.crtravelsite.co.cr

I suggest reserving inadvance- but I like to be cautious.
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 01:04 PM

What airline are you arriving on? Delta has always been on time for us. We did talk to a lot of people who had problems with American.

I honestly don't think you will have a problem. Can you travel light with no check in? That will save you some time. Any chance you can contact the airline to get seating up a little closer to the front? We have done that when making tight connections. This year took us the longest to get out at about 75mins. Every gate seemed to have a big plane at it. We have gotten out of there in as little as 20mins. A woman arrived with no passport this year(don't know how she got on the plane to begin with) and as luck would have it, was in our line. Once they pulled her to the side it moved a little faster. We also had check in luggage because we had stuff to deliver to one of the lodges. There will be taxi drivers all over you once you step outside so getting a ride to the Grayline pickup won't be a problem. Have some small bills ready to pay them with. Don't worry about colones.

Good Luck
Old Mar 3rd, 2005, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mfenimore and Jesse. Unfortunately we are taking American(from Miami). The plane is full but we'll try changing to seats closer to the front the day of. And we'll bring small bills for the taxi driver. Great tips.
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Do any of you know if they use the rear exits at the SJO airport? I'm guessing they do unless they actually have those adjustable corridor arms for entering and exiting the planes. Thanks again,
Sam
Old Mar 4th, 2005, 09:56 AM

Yes, they do use the flexible arm exit connections to the terminals from the front of the planes in San Jose. It is a new terminal. Unbelievable but, it is already too small at times.