Search

Costa Rica Itinerary Help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Costa Rica Itinerary Help

It's not the first time I've been to Costa Rica--it's my third time there, but this time I'm traveling with a friend and she hasn't seen any of the sights or sounds in CR so I want to really give her the full experience. However, we only have 13 nights together.

I have lots of time to explore and do my thing (I'm going down before she arrives so this vacation planning really isn't about me, I want to really show her a good time).

She's not the most adventurous person I've ever met but she's willing to try new things. There are some things I really wish to include in our itinerary,

2 nights in Tortuguero (it's been one of my favorites every time)
2-3 nights in Arenal
some beach(ish) time

Also, MA is not really one of my favorites. Great beaches but it seems to be getting too overdone for my taste, the same way I feel about Jaco. I'm also not the biggest fan of beaches in Guanacaste--beautiful, but not our crowd.

I've been to beaches in the Caribbean and I love them but what is everyone's opinion on the safety aspect for two girls in their early 20s? Especially with this whole serial rapist situation, it makes me a little nervous.

I'd love to go down to the Osa, but I'm not sure how the weather typically is in December. As well, this is a bit of a last minute holiday trip so I'm trying to make bookings around when different places are available. We're going to fly one way into Tortuguero, and we'd fly into the Osa if that was where we were headed, but the rest of our trip is going to be done on Interbus. Her flight arrives at 9:45 pm so we're planning on staying somewhere close to the airport the first night (somewhere reasonably priced and preferably not in San Jose), any recommendations? That's all for now I'll repost if I think of anything else.

Thanks!
Old Aug 9th, 2008, 02:52 PM

December would be a great time for the Osa, but if your friend is not very adventurous maybe not the place for her? You could also consider the beaches around Dominical and Uvita area, not as crazy built up as MA. Or maybe up in the NW area like Nosara, again not so busy as Tamarindo.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:29 PM

www.malpaissurfclub.com

might be a nice beach choice.

Beaches on the Carib side are brown
black good for surfing thats about
it and safety problems over there also
would not chance it.

Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:33 PM

www.adventure-inn.com

www.fountainsguesthouse.com

Both excellent cost-effective
lodgings for pre/post flights
in Los Arcos and Escazu both
suburbs fairly close to airport.
Old Aug 10th, 2008, 01:35 PM

oops my bad

www.malpaissurfcamp.com
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Hi flight,

I understand what you say about MA, but it might actually not be a bad fit for your friend depending on her comfort zone.

I'd prefer the Osa myself, and as tully mentioned, December is a wonderful time of year to go down there. It's definitely more remote, however!

For a reasonable hotel rec near SJO for a night, Orquideas Inn always gets lots of good reviews here (I enjoyed my stay there last December...). Hotel Villa Bonita also gets favorable reports from trustworthy Fodor's regulars.