costa rica hotels

Old Dec 27th, 2010, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
costa rica hotels

Please help me with chosing a hotel in San Jose, Costa Rica. I will be there for 4 days and would like a nice, safe hotel. Hopefully within walking distance of sights of interest.

Thanks for you help
loveyblue
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 05:14 AM

www.mybeaconescazu.com

www.thealtahotel.com

Escazu best are for walking where the embassies are.

Avoid downtown pretty dodgy...
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 06:56 AM

You'll find many ppl tell you to avoid San Jose, but my daughter & I had such a pleasant stay at Don Carlos in Barrio Amon. The area is known for historical colonial buildings & lined with beautiful ceramic walls, the hotel had a quite charming patio & historical paintings. Very easy to walk to Plaza de la Cultura, the staff is very friendly and the restaurant inside of this hotel serves very tasty meals as well (according to my 12 year old, their fran is sooo good). You won’t be sorry to stay here for a night or two.

Here's Barrio Amon looks like.
http://www.govisitcostarica.com/trav...g.asp?phID=179
Hotel Don Carlos
http://www.doncarloshotel.com/

How about try one day stay in San Jose, and explore Central Valley area for other days?
Oh, BTW - This hotel offers packing breakfast for you if you have to leave early in the morning. We had to leave around 6am to heading for Tortuguero next morning, they told us we can order breakfast in advance so they can pack 'em and we can eat inside of bus. I thought it was a nice gesture.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM

If your reason for spending four days in San Jose is something other than tourism, you might want to select a hotel close to your reason for being in the city. If I had only four days in Costa Rica, I would not spend them in San Jose.

You might get better advice if you explain your situation a little better.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 08:49 AM

We really enjoyed Grano de Oro; if you decide that you don't need a city hotel, then Xandari is great, about 20 minutes from the airport. They can arrange tours for you and offer one free trip either to or from the airport. Why did you decide to spend 4 night in San Jose? Hope you get a chance to see other areas too!
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I am flying into San Jose on my way to meetings in Quepos. This was a last minunte meeting scheduled and I have not had
an opportunity to do much if any research. I have 3 or 4 free days from time of landing in San Jose until I need to be in Quepos.

All ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Also, to phone from the states?
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM

You might like to head up to Arenal for a few days seeing as how you have a decent amount of time. I like Silencio del Campo for a small, friendly feel - owned by local family. In San Jose though agree with Sakura about Don Carlos. Good hotel, good location. I also love Casa 69 as it's unique and wonderfully decorated in original art and tropical plants everywhere in the middle of the city.
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 09:57 AM

I agree four days in San Jose is too much. I might stay in Alajuela since it is closer to Doka and Poas Volcano.

I liked Hotel Pura Vida. It includes a free pickup from the airport and excellent breakfast. Also recommend that you order the dinner. You will appreciate it later.

www.puravidahotel.com

I think after two nights I would also head to Arenal and then to Quepos. Do you have to fly or can you drive down?
Old Dec 28th, 2010, 01:22 PM

Totally agree with hip. I would head to Arenal - great area with an active volcano, natural hot springs, hanging bridges, and a beautiful waterfall. Also adventure activities like ziplining and rafting if those interest you. Three or four nights is perfect there.
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 05:56 AM

You could also just spend a night or two in Alajuela/San Jose then go out to Quepos early and enjoy the park and other activities there at Manuel Antonio. If you do find yourself with a full day in San Jose, you could do the Ecoscape tour, all day and a pretty good deal - http://ecoscapetours.com/
Old Dec 31st, 2010, 09:18 AM

I also really enjoyed Hotel Silencio del Campo in Arenal.